Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with my car. I know it's hard to diagnose without seeing it, but here goes.
I've got a 1992 Chevy Camaro RS, 3.1L V6 in it, about 190k mi now. Anyways, a few months ago, the tachometer was jumping around pretty violently. My car would stall, die randomly, then not even start. My mechanic help me put a new TPS in it, and he redid the wiring. I'm not too car savvy (I just do my brakes, filters, oil changes, etc, the little ****) but yeah. Anyways, car was FINE up until last Tuesday (5/13) the tach started twitching slightly again. Enough to worry me, at least. Thursday (5/15) morning it started right up and immediately died. I started it again, same thing. On the third try it did not happen again. It drove like a champ all day yesterday (5/16) with no issues; the tachometer wasn't even twitching that much (like very slightly on rare occasion). This morning (5/17) it wouldn't even start. The engine tries to turn over, but it's just not happening. The battery is not dead, yes I have fuel, yes I need help :( It's having the same issues it did a few months ago before the TPS and wiring was redone and completely new. Any ideas as to what it could be? Emailed responses would be best, my mechanic can't work with me on it this weekend and I work all next week so I'm on my own with this one. Please help :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
To me it sounds like you have more than one problem right now. The first issue is the car not wanting to crank. It sounds like you either have a problem with not enough voltage getting to the starter or a bad starter. I would recommend trying to get a voltage reading at the starter. The wire from the battery to the starter should show 12 volts. Then get someone to turn the key and make sure that you don't loose your voltage. If all your voltage checks show around 12 volts then your starter is bad. As far as the issue of it cutting out. That is likely a different problem. With you saying that the tach is jumping around makes me think that you may have a crank sensor about to go bad. The sensor tells the computer where the motor is at in the revolution so it knows when to activate the fuel injectors and when to fire the cylinder. If it isn't sending the right signals the motor won't run. Another possibility is an ignition switch with bad connections internally. I hope the info helps. Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts