Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started removing the door glass last night and I noticed that a couple of the bolt heads that hold the door glass regulator assembly in there have some kind of black putty covering the bolt head. Had to use a screwdriver to pry it off. It came off easy but I was wondering what the purpose of this was and will I need to replace it?
Joe

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
They use that over screws that are not covered by the watershield..too keep moisture that collects on the door shell from collecting on the cardboard door panel. It's not totally necessary..whatever you want to do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Panther, I didn't notice them when I took off the door panels last summer. Makes sense. I probably won't put it back. Hopefully this car will never see a rain drop but then again when shes finished I do plan on driving as much as possible. Thanks again for your help.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
I found my car had the same putty or whatever it is on the bolts for the tracks for the quarter windows. You could still clearly see the persons thumbprint on the putty!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It's no big deal to put some back on. Why not do it, and keep the water out?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Jonsey, it sounds like one of those programs on TV..Cold case files...
'He commited a terrible crime in 1968.An auto worker at the Norwood plant kills a fellow worker by fatally stabbing the man with what appreared to be a rocker panel molding.. There was little evidence. The case went cold..Then, in 2003, a guy restoring his 69 Camaro find a fingerprint of the guy in the winder regulator bolt sealing putty!" "Finally, justice was served!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
I saw the same putty on my quarter windows. I thought it was used as a buffer between the bolt head and the interior so that it would not push through the material.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Maybe I could trace the fingerprints and track down the guy that built my car and he could tell me all about it. :D :D

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
You don't need to remove the lower track bolts to pull the glass just the upper ones and the stops. The repair manual does not mention removing the front stop, but you need to remove it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts