Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Outside door handles interchange with the 69 Camaro. I'm watching Ebay for really fine, or NOS. I see Nova, Impala, Tempest, etc, that look the same, but some carry different GM part numbers. All help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Unreal,
Going by the Chevrolet Chassis and Body parts catalog. Part #3064224 RH was also on 68-75 Nova LH front and rear.
Part #3064225 LH did not appear to be used on any other Chev's.
Doesn't make much sense, I can email you the page from the book if you want it.
Ken

·
Registered
312 Posts
While the part numbers are different, many handles were indeed identical except one component. The length of the rod used to push the lever that is inside the door (you know the one that we all use our fingers on to open the door with no handles) is the only difference. Ironically, if you buy reproduction door handles this rod length has to be trimmed to the appropriate length. If you find a pair that looks correct cosmetically, the only difference should be the rod length, which can be easily trimmed. Good luck

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot.
They all look the same in the pictures, but I wasn't sure. GM "replacement" ones are still available resto houses, which usually means you can still get them from local Chevy dealer.
"Replacement" usually means they will fit and function as original, but are not exactly like the original.
I asked the guy from Rick's how the "replacements" differed from the originals, and he said the contours are slightly different.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The biggest difference is the thickness of the handle it self. Originals are much thicker and the new ones are noticeably thinner.

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There are other differences. All those cars that those handles came on for all those years and all those different doors for those cars, the angle of the door sheetmetal is not the same between all of the cars the handles came on. Installing a different handle is no problem but it might put the handle at a slightly different angle. I have interchanged almost all of them with no problems and almost no one would notice the very slight difference.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Wondering, has anyone had originals rechromed?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
579 Posts
I bought new Trim parts handles about five years ago,and now they look as bad as the originals.Pitted badly,not happy.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought aftermarket ones a couple of years ago...still in the box.
After the stories I've heard about repro chrome, Sent my bumper back, and had my original rechromed, and I'm looking for nice originals for other chrome pieces as well.
Unfortunately, I bought my repro handles at a car show, and thus can't return them.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I think that rechroming that diecast type metal, can cause you more problems than what it is worth.
Die cast can break up in the chroming process.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi there. I rechromed my original 68 door handles 5 years ago and they are beautiful and they function perfectly. I would reccommend it to anyone. I also had the locks polished and they look new.

·
Registered
297 Posts
ochrisl,

I too bought Trim Parts door handles about 4 years ago, and they also look worse now than the originals I had on the car. NPD would not exchange them for me after they started pitting. Also not happy.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

My 1967 Camaro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts