Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've searched all the threads and tried what I could without any luck.

I have a couple different keys on my key ring, and was trying to figure out which key operated the door lock on my '67. I had the door open and tried the first one, and the cylinder rotated, but nothing happened, so I tried the other one and it didn't fit. The door panel is off, so I looked inside and realized that the lock cylinder isn't attached to the locking mechanism. It rotates, but it doesn't do anything.

I manually locked the door using the door lock knob and the latch got stuck in the halfway closed position. I tried moving it back to the open position, but no luck, so for whatever reason I pushed the latch all the way in, hoping it would then release. It is now stuck in the closed position, but the door is open.

I have tried quickly lifting the door lock knob up and down about 200 times. I have tried spraying everying down with white lithium grease. I have tried pushing on the door handle button while using a screwdriver to pry the door latch open, and also lifting the inside handle while trying to pry the latch open, without any luck.

I was going to remove the latch mechanism, but one of the screws was so tight that I stripped the screw.

All of the parts of the mechanism seem to move freely, but they only move about 1/4 inch. The outside door handle button only pushes in a tiny amount before it has a hard stop. I can see the spring and it looks like it is in the right position and not bent.

Am I missing something here? Anyone got any ideas before I drill out the stripped screw and try to take the latch out?

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that I have reached up inside the door and can move the linkage by hand about a 1/4 inch or so up and down, so it doesn't feel like it's frozen in place. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Had the same thing. When you get the latch out you will see 2 springs. The one that unlatches the lock is probably bad. Look in your catalogs for that $4.00 spring. Clean the latch and lubricate and it should work fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts