Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought replacement standard door panels for my '69. My originals were gone so I bought the complete replacement version.

It turns out that while the stock panels have a stamped steel "frame" - the part at the top behind the covering that forms the top shape and wraps the top edge of the door - that the replacements are made of ....good old plastic! Mine will not stay "hooked" over the locating clips on top of the door so they flop away from the door and window. Of course, they also rub on the trim at the front edge of the quarter so the material has worn through!

The solution I've found is to have the steel pieces (I found some used ones) inserted in place of the plastic pieces and the edge trimmed back a bit so they won't rub. Just wondered if anyone else has run across this and come up with any better fixes?

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

[This message has been edited by RockyMtnRacer (edited 06-27-2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
My brother bought a set from Year One and they had the steel edge. Last year they were selling ones that had the plastic edge and he couldn't get them to stay attached like you. He called them and exchanged them. Perhaps you can return them since good ones are out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking to purchase door panel also. What company did you buy these from. I want to make sure that I don't run into this problem. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I can't remember which company I got them from. I was using Rick's, D&R, the Paddock, and Classic all quite a bit at that stage of my restoration. However, I think most of the distributors buy their restoration parts from just a few manufacturers so they may have all been (and may still be) selling these panels at that time.

Your best bet is to ask your supplier how their panels are built and make sure they have the metal backing.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have seen people use heat guns to get the plastic to fold over the door better.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I had the same problem with panals for my 69 SS396 Chevelle, so your not alone with your camaro. Mine never made it on to the car, I was sizing them up and found them to be installed wrong and hung about 1 inch below the door!!!!!!!

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/1969ss/homepage

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought some door panels from rick's fg for my 68. i have the metal rails from my old panels, but i was wondering how you attach the new panels to the rails. anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I bought a box of 100 pop rivets and a grommet tool. Took the pin out of the rivet, and used just the "rivet" part. Drilled through the panel at every "punch flare" and installed the pop rivet. Then cinched with the grommet tool. Then I filled the gap with some epoxy, so it was very smooth.It was a lot of work, but looked good at the end.

Of course, the week after I finished the repops, I found a set of original panels removed from a wreck in 1971.

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
I started out by not buying the complete door panels for my 69. So anyways, I buy the ones that you have to take the metal top and attach it to the new bottoms. The brand was PUI. I removed the old lower from the old upper and then drilled small holes in the metal part. There are already holes from where the factory used a punch type tool to attach the two panels together. Then you have to line up the metal piece with the new lower piece and clamp them together with 2 c-clamps. Then drill through the existing metal hole and make a hole into the fiber/cardboard?? panel. The you need to rivet the 2 together. Once the thing is put together, you need to spray glue the extra material and the metal piece and stretch the material over the metal piece. Then I tried to put NOS window fuzzies on mine and had to use steel wire to replicate the factory staples that attach the inner fuzzie to the metal frame. All in all, it was a huge pain in the arse. I didnt like the way they turned out so I ordered in the complete panel with metal frame fully assembled. I put them in, lined up the holes for the bottom screws and wallah I had new door panels installed. I did have to take a razorblade to the inside clip mounts to make them larger so I could position the clips in the right place to press into the door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts