Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of new top rails for my 69 Camaro, since I already had a set of door panels laying around from a buddy.

Problem is, I have no reference point as to how the top rails get attached to the door and to the door panel. My door doesn't seem to have any pre drilled hoes to match the 14 small holes in the rail. I looked through the Assembly manual and there doesn't seem to be any reference to the door panels.

Does anyone have any pics of the top rail attached to the door?

Also, I don't see how the top rail doesn't interfere with the window guides (fuzzy).

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Anyone?

Basically if someone has a pic of their partially assembled door that they couldpost, that would be terrific. Just looking where to mount the metal "top rail" piece that sits near the top of the door panel. The one I have it seems the screw mounting holes dont line up over anything. I'm probably just doing it wrong, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Well, hate to let a post sit. The good news is, if I try to answer, those who really know will chime right in...

Then on the other hand, I can't for the life of me figure out exactly what peice you're talking about?

The "trim stick" that attaches to the interior door panel?

The metal part at the top of the door panel that actually hooks it on?
or
The steel reinforcement inside the top of the door skin?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. The piece I am referring to is a thin tin/aluminum piece that is roughly U-shaped and sort of acts as a cap over the top of the door. The door lock rod goes through it. I ordered this from the catalog and it was called a "top rail".

From what little I've been able to gather, the piece sits over the top of the inside door skin and the door panels vinyl wraps on top of this (possibly glued?). There are roughly 14 small holes in it for what I imagine is to screw it into the interior side of the door. On the opposite side are 2 small slots that I believe the window fuzzy hooks onto using tabs (?). I think I read a post that the original pieces were riveted to the door if that helps.

Sorry for the vagueness, but I don't have a point of reference to work from. I imagine anyone who has installed a door is aware of the piece, although my description of it may be causing confusion. If no one chimes in, I will try and take some pics to post here to calrify.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I don't know what the holes are for, but the lip on the top cap simply lays in the window opening, and is held in place by the screws on the bottom of the panel. The vinyl on the top of the door rolls over the lip, and the interior fuzzy got stapled to the lip. Guys often make staples to fit the holes in used caps, and bend them over by hand.
In order to know where to position the door panel to fit the cap, put everything in place and mark the position. I attached the cap to the cardboard panel using pop rivets without the "nail". I used a grommet tool to flare out the rivets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For alignment purposes I would suggest setting the metal piece in place on the top of the dorr, and then install the panel in it's correct location and mark the relationship of the two pieces. This will help ensure you have them aligned properly. The metal pice actually gets punched into the door panel at the location of the 14 holes, i.e. you will need to mark and drill some small pilot holes and then punch the metal thru it. Prior to doing that I would suugest applying contact cement to both pieces to help secure them together. Once you have them securely attached you can contact cement the remaing door panel material over the top of the metal.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Do these metal pieces come already attached to the repo 69 deluxe panels?
On deluxe panels the door panels are molded ABS plastic, with a foam and vinyl skin
The top rails come with standard assembled panels but most "fit like socks on a chicken"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts