Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to replace door pins, I do have the doors off the car. I think this will make it easier to replace. will I need any special tools?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I replaced my hinge pins and bushings and a number of years back - Yes, it's much easier to take the hinges off the car. No Special tools required other then a Good Vise, Heavy Hammers and a Driving Rod of some sort; but man, your looking at hours re-aligning the doors. I've many times got the front of the door aligned nicely with the fender and rocker only to have the rear out to lunch, I've had to place plywood on the door skin and brace myself against a cement wall using my legs and feet to literally twist the entire door structure so that it aligns up with the back post. We are lucky that we can service them, the hinges are welded on newer doors, not bolted.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
We are lucky that we can service them, the hinges are welded on newer doors, not bolted.
You've got that right. My wife drove the '01 Suburban out of the garage and the kids hadn't closed one of the back doors yet, that was a nightmare.
I did my hinge pins with the door on my 68, but you have to be very careful and have the door supported well. I cut the pin in half with a cut-off tool, put in the new bushings and pin, done. Just some minor adj.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Before you remove the hinges, drill 2 pilot holes through the hinge, and into the door. That way, when you reinstall them, you can use a drill bit or nail to align them back where they were.

My doors were removed when I got them. (Fortunately, the guy before me knew about the drill trick) The hinges were still attached to the jam, and I changed my pins while attached. Then put the doors back on, using the pins, and did minor alignment.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Unreal: I agree with you; but, because of the length of Camaro Doors, particularity 2nd Gen, you need a garage as wide as it is long to open the blasted doors of the car wide enough to get a wrench in there to loosen or tighten the hinge bolts, so how do you get a Drill & Bit in position to drill a hole through to the hinge bracket. You might be able to drill through the door bracket from inside the door after taking the Glass and Window bracket out but it's almost impossible to drill the bulkhead. Remember your not only drilling through the hinge and skin metal but you also have to drill through the backing plate.

To tell you the truth, the factory does a POOR Job of aligning doors in the 1st place. After hours of mounting, tightening bolts and twisting the main door structure you have a much better fitting door - now your into the Window Vs Weather stripping alignment - eventually you reach a point where you are somewhat satisfied and call it quits - lol

If I recall there are factory pilot holes pre-drilled inside the door through the Backing Plate going into the the hinge. It's does help but believe me it's far from perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts