Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have replaced the door weatherstripping on my 69 Camaro. I can't figure how the weather strip/door glass/door panel fit together at the front of the door. The door glass comes up between a manufactured split in the weatherstripping. The inside piece of that weatherstripping is very large and I can't figure how it's supposed to sit on the door frame and under the door panel. Does anyone have an explanation how this is supposed to be done? Also, can someone please provide me with a couple of pictures of the seal/door glass/door panel at that front edge of the door? Thank you for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,630 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The part of the weather stripping that is on the outside of the window (the side toward the white painted door panel) is fine. It's that big rubber part toward the inside of the door panel that I can't figure out. Does the door panel go over it and compress it in place? Can you forward a picture?

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,630 Posts
Yes, but it still may need to be trimmed. It does look awfully bloated. And when you're sure it's gonna fit, use adhesive where it contacts the door. Mine's fully assembled so I don't think you can see much. I'll check into it.

What brand is your weatherstrip ? I presume it doesn't have the internal metal reinforcement as the originals did ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I don’t remember the brand, but it does not have metal reinforcement inside the rubber. So basically, the door panel is supposed to cover over that big mass of rubber? If that’s the case, it will definitely need to be trimmed. If possible, I would still appreciate a picture of that front side window area, maybe with the window part way down? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,630 Posts
Yep, If I remember correctly. Hopefully someone else who has this more fresh in their mind will chime in for confirmation.;)

I'll see about a pic....

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,630 Posts
Just the nubbin on the end of the w/s fits under the door panel/inner felt to help hold it in place. I had trouble with mine sticking to the glass when rolling the window down and it would pull out of place. Had to trim it back and use plenty of adhesive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Garth. Just wanted to let you know, I glued the rubber insulation to the inside door panel, and after it dried, I did like you said and cut off some of the thicker part of the rubber. Now the window goes up and down fine and the rubber does not get pulled down into the door. Since that rubber is on the interior of the car, the sealing isn't critical anyway. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts