Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any of you camaro guru's have used the new door panels that you have to use your old top metal pieces?? [69 camaro front panels]. or is it better to spend the extra $$ and get the ones ready to put right on?? anyone had any experience on this issue?? THANKS this board is great, i had been putting off cutting my new tailpanel for my rs back-up lights until the other day i did a SEARCH on the right measurements and BOOM there they were.just think if i had put the effort into my grades oh say 23 years ago like i have this car i would been a genius.LOL anyways any input on the panels would really help.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've used both types. I prefer the panels where you re-use the old metal upper portion.The complete units that I bought for a customer car used plastic and it took a lot more time to fit those up. I then used the version that you re-use the upper metal mount and that went pretty smooth. Just take your time lining things up.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
CJ, what you used to hold the old metal part to the new cardboard panel. I used some rivets on the rears of my 68 and if you touch the vynil or look close, they might be felt. My originals came with some kind of punched thru holes to hold them together that were too difficult to duplicate.

·
Registered
966 Posts
IMO, the best and fastest way to go is with the preassembled units. I got mine from Year One, and they were great. The only problem with ALL replacement door panels is you need to trim 1/8 to 1/4 from the front so the panel doesn't bind when you close the door.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just did mine. I went the do it yourself route to save money. Doing them was relatively simple but very time consuming. Here is the genral process: Remove the chrome strips from the back, and lock bezel. Strip all old stuff off. Grind the tabs off. Line up the holes. Make a hole drill bit using a piece of 3/16 sharpened tubing. Buy a rivet gun. Rivet your hand off. Call a million places to find some 1/8 inch foam if your foam on the metal is shot (like mine was). Take 1/4 inch foam and glue it on with spray glue. Sand foam down to roughly 1/8 inch (I actually like the way it looks being a little thicker). Spray glue fabric (cuting ends to go around corners takes some work). Drill holes for trim strip. Replace lock bezel. Repaint little Camaro emblem (put vaseline on the raised chrome with a q-tip and then spray paint the whole thing with flat black, then wipe off and looks perfect). Like I said, not difficult but time consuming!!! There is a book from Classic Industries called How to Restore Your Camaro that had it step by step. My panels had pre-drilled hole for door lacth and window crank which was very helpfull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts