Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 6 months, I have gone through 3 proportional valves that are part of my disc brake conversion kit I bought from Inline Tube. Long story short : The company and myself thought the valves were faulty. Turns out, the rubber used in their braking system components, ie: proportional valves, Is not compatible with the silicone dot 5 fluid. The fluid eats away at the rubber (seals, etc) which then is the site where leaks develop. I talked to a company rep for inline tube and they said dot 5 is the only fluid that you cannot use with their components. I learned this the expensive way. Hopefully this will help others.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Dot 3 & 4 are the only grades to use and not to mix with 5, lesson learned.
I've been using Wilwood Dot 3 fluid with a high boiling point, flushed the system when I upgraded the front brakes.
Make sure you flush your brakes to try and clear the silicone stuff, residue.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Over the past 6 months, I have gone through 3 proportional valves that are part of my disc brake conversion kit I bought from Inline Tube. Long story short : The company and myself thought the valves were faulty. Turns out, the rubber used in their braking system components, ie: proportional valves, Is not compatible with the silicone dot 5 fluid. The fluid eats away at the rubber (seals, etc) which then is the site where leaks develop. I talked to a company rep for inline tube and they said dot 5 is the only fluid that you cannot use with their components. I learned this the expensive way. Hopefully this will help others.
I know a lot of people that state they use Silicone brake fluid with no issues. I have it in one of our cars with no issues to date and its 5 years in after restoration. All others have Dot3 in and know from our 68Z restoration "White Post Restorations" clearly states on their warranty use of Silicone Brake Fluid voids the warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
I use dot 5 in all the cars that I build that are not daily drivers. Never had an issue. Not once.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so since i am having issues,,,,, do i swap out the entire system?? master cylinder, brake lines, hoses etc etc ???

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts
I would replace the rubber hoses. The rest can be cleaned with denatured alcohol.should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I have dot 5 in the bike. It was called for. I have replaced it a few times and never noticed an issue with it. Not sure why harley spec’ed, either water or boiling point i guess. The boiling point issue isnt relevant any more . Harley doesnt spec it any more either i dont think. It has a rep of messing with abs.

·
14,495 Posts
Wilwood instructions read do not use DOT 5 with their products.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I have been using DOT 5 for years with no problems. SSBC conversion.

·
10,158 Posts
I would not use DOT5 fluid. I’ve seen problems with cars run on the track that reversed when they switched back to normal fluid. It might work on a street driver, but it might not. The compressibility is greater, so you may have a spongy pedal feel. In addition to other problems. Thanks for the seal info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts