Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you considering stainless brake line, it can be a bear to double flare. In fact, many have posted that single flaring stainless is acceptable...
I tried several tools unsucessfully, but found the best advice in a post by David Pozzi that recommended using a hacksaw not a tubing cutter because the rollers actually harden the steel. This was the ticket.
What finally worked for me:
1. Hacksaw the line.
2. File the end square
3. Very slightly ream/debur the ID
4. Slightly Chamfer the OD
5. Drop of oil on the adapter and press.
6. Make sure everything is perfectly square before tightening.
7. MasterCool PN#70097 (~$40) Double Flare tool

I tried a KD2190 from Napa (~$75) and an Chinese knockoff from Advance (~$25), but I couldn't even double flare mild steel well with either of those...I looked at the Rigid #345 from Home Depot, which looks like a really good tool, but it doesn't have the double flare adapters. I saw a post where someone just used adapters from a low buck tool w/the Rigid tool, which would work if you had adapters already.

I have a full handful of "practice" attempts from flaring/cutting/trying again. The real trick was using the hacksaw vs. the tubing cutter. As soon as I started using the hacksaw, I stopped making "practice" flares.
Additionally, the tubing was from InlineTube, which says in it's FAQ's that its stainless line is anealed which would also be important.

Had a pi$$ poor weekend on the car, so I thought I'd share something positive. I hope it helps someone here. The stainless is more difficult to work with and bend, but it looks sweet.

-Scott

·
Retired
16,004 Posts
thanks Scot for the info. its always neat to see that something recommended in TC works for others. Pozzi is a gem and we are lucky to have him aboard here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I think it mat have been me who recommended the Ridgid 345. Easily the best manual flaring tool I've used, but you're right - no double flare dies.

I'm glad you found another tool to do the job. Those $25 hardware store tools are really only worthwhile on copper or aluminum.

·
10,142 Posts
Thanks for posting your results, we all need some good tips on flaring!
I've even tried annealing tube ends with a torch and letting it slowly cool.

The hacksaw method was something I'd read somewhere and it' makes sense due to less work hardening.

Here is the lowest prices on the Mastercool flare tool I've found:
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/
I've bought a fiew tools from them in addition to my Mastercool flare tool.
David

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
It's all David's fault that I now have a hydraulic flaring tool :) Great feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RickD said:
It's all David's fault that I now have a hydraulic flaring tool :) Great feedback. Thanks!
I liked the looks of the hyd flaring tool, but I went with the low buck manual one from Mastercool. It is of similar design as the inexpensive one I found at Advance, but when held in my hand, the Mastercool was obviously a higher quality piece.
After all the running around town, time and frustration spent on this, maybe the super-duper tool would have been worth it. :)

Rod, I got it locally at the Dayton Tool Crib.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
OK Scott, did you get your brake connections to stop leaking?
67FamilyFun said:
I liked the looks of the hyd flaring tool, but I went with the low buck manual one from Mastercool. It is of similar design as the inexpensive one I found at Advance, but when held in my hand, the Mastercool was obviously a higher quality piece.
After all the running around town, time and frustration spent on this, maybe the super-duper tool would have been worth it. :)

Rod, I got it locally at the Dayton Tool Crib.

Scott

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buck said:
OK Scott, did you get your brake connections to stop leaking?
Buck, My flare fittings are money. But two banjo fittings won't quit seeping. I have tried new copper washers...twice. I heated the second set with a torch to hopefully soften em up...no joy. Before setting the car on fire in anger I moved on to the exhaust for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Well let me know when you put it out in the street, but before you set fire to it and I'll come get it... :) I might even go up to $1205.00
67FamilyFun said:
Buck, My flare fittings are money. But two banjo fittings won't quit seeping. I have tried new copper washers...twice. I heated the second set with a torch to hopefully soften em up...no joy. Before setting the car on fire in anger I moved on to the exhaust for a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts