Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share my experience with this for anyone that might benefit from it as I have benefited so much from this site.

I’ll just come right out of the gate and say these headers are great. They look great and they fit perfectly. I have no complaints about the quality or fitment of these headers. I have a Lares 972 power steering box and they fit around it well. No massaging needed. They also tuck up under the car very nicely. They come with some clearancing near some of the bolt holes as well as near #3 and #5 spark plugs. All the others have at least an inch on f clearance, roughly. But, those two spark plug boots need just a tad more room, especially 5, so I’ll work on that a bit. If I’d have know before putting the driver’s side in, I’d have worked on them a bit first. Overall, I’d don’t think spark plug access can be any easier without doing something really crazy with the tube routing on the driver side. Passenger side is cake and even provides better access to the starter terminals is I need it. They were totally hidden before.

Installation is as straight forward as this project can be I think. But, read the directions and do it in the order they describe. I didn’t put the passenger side in first because it was easy. Literally just slide right into place from the top of the car. But since you have to unbolt the driver side motor mount and raise the engine up to get the driver side header in, having the passenger side header already mounted interfered with the floor of the car so I had to go back and loosen it to be able to get the engine up high enough. Directions do tell you to do the driver side first. Had. I followed them it would’ve save me some time. They did tell you that for both headers you need to come up from the bottom. I didn’t need to do this. I’m kind of surprised I said that for the passenger side because I’ve taken the old one and add a couple of times and it just comes out with no interference. For the driver side is a little different story. I do have the car up pretty high on jackstands, about as high as I really feel safe putting it. And even with the engine raised almost 2 inches I still couldn’t get them from the bottom. So I looked at it for a while and was about to take the steering box out when I thought I’d try it one more time from the top. I had to twist it around quite a bit and maybe push a little here and there but I was able to get it in from the top. I will note that I had the oil filter out because it was due a change and I went ahead and did that while I had it up on the jackstands. It might not fit with the filter in place. And if I could’ve got it maybe another foot or so in the air, so we’re talking close to 3 feet maybe, it would’ve gone in from the bottom. But, that just wasn’t reasonable for me in my shop. About the only criticism I have is the gaskets. They didn’t come slotted for the bolt holes on the front and back. We all know how you put those two bolts in and then the gasket just slides down and rests on them but not with these. I could’ve cut them and made a slot but the material was kind of thin there and I was afraid I would rip them so I finagled with a little bit and made it fit. Not a huge issue but could’ve been easier.

The instructions and part list did say I should have some kind of alternator bracket for mounting that on the drivers side. But, it wasn’t in my box. I don’t care because I mount mine on the passenger side so it wasn’t really an issue for me. Maybe it will be for others so you might want to check into that.

Overall I definitely give this product an A+. They look well-made and look great. The flanges are nice and thick with quality looking welds holding everything together. I fully expect to be completely satisfied with these headers.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold Gas

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400
499 Posts
This question has come up 100s of time I’m sure.
It’s great that you provided the write up. Maybe this will clear up some of the mystery for others. 👍

·
15,638 Posts
For clarification?

Do you have angle or straight plug heads?

I use shorty plug and ceramic boot plug wires for more boot and wire clearances.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For clarification?

Do you have angle or straight plug heads?

I use shorty plug and ceramic boot plug wires for more boot and wire clearances.
I should have included that. I have straight plug heads. They are the BPE H8002K heads with a raised exhaust port.

Even with a shorty plug on #5 it was going to need some more clearance.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro SS
5 Posts
I’ve been wanting to get a set of those headers for years now. I’m finally going to pull the plug and do it. We’re you able to use your existing exhaust or did you have a new system built after you put the new headers in?

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve been wanting to get a set of those headers for years now. I’m finally going to pull the plug and do it. We’re you able to use your existing exhaust or did you have a new system built after you put the new headers in?
I also bought a full 2.5” Magnaflow exhaust. The existing would not have worked without modification because these headers are longer. The old system was some 2” crap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts