Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody using these? There is a picture of them in the new classic industries catalog. They look really nice, with a unique design. Hopefully no denting is required for a small block with power steering. Pricey, but quality always seems to be. Does the chrome coating hold up well? Thanks in advance for any help
Todd

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
They're awesome. Worth the money. I put a pair on my car with power steering and manual trans.

I believe I show a clearance pic from below in my link. If I could do it again I'd have them coated. It's worth it.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
I have Dougs shorties and had them coated. I am very impressed with them. I had to clearence one tube, very slightly against the steering box. My engine sits back very close to the firewall. If it were in the stock position the headers would have cleared everything perfectly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have a set on my big block. they are a lot nicer than the hookers we tried to put on. the flanges are thicker than hooker also. the ceramic coated will cost a few bucks more than the regular non coated. the overall construction is the best for a production header. ceramic will cost around $600.00 or a little higher. check out their website and give them a call.

http://www.dougsheaders.com

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I'll get and put 'em in, then once all is okay, I'll send 'em off to be coated in the winter. It's starting to get real nice out here and I don't want to wait for headers to be coated while the sun is shinin'. Todd

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Todd - I've heard there is issue (maybe just cost not sure) with coating over chrome. Dougs wouldn't sell me headers that weren't chromed so I could fit them first and send them out. They do offer coating though even though chrome is their std option. Give them a call, maybe things have changed since I got mine. At least you have some advanced warning if not...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dennis. That's good to know beforehand. I'll see what they say. Todd

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I've also heard that the coating won't stick if the headers have been ran. In fact, the subject was mentioned here a few weeks ago in one of the forums. I can imagine how carbon and exhaust by-products could poison the metal.

-dnult

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Don't they have a 2.5" collector instead of the more common 3"?

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
The tube didn't actually hit during installation I had the front tires on ramps and then jacked up the engine. Didn't need to remove the engine mount so it wasn't lifted too high on the drivers side. When I let the engine down the number 3 tube just rested on the edge of the the steering box. You shouldn't have this problem if your engine is in the right place, mines almost against the firewall.

Anyway what I did to clearence the tube was to jack the engine back up with the engine up to temp and then took "big mama" (biggest screwdriver in the tool box) and wedged it into the space between the header tube and the steering box from the bottom. I got it in there as far as I could and then lowered the engine. Ran the engine some more (I didn't have mufflers and really liked the sound of them uncorked :D ) to insure the pipe was good and hot. Then I worked the screwdriver like I was trying to pull the sword from the stone and couldn't. I jacked the engine up again, removed big mama and let her back down. Well it worked a bit but not enough so I went through the whole process a total of 3 times. Each time big mama went in a bit further. I ended up with about .050" and have not had any issues with the steering so I'm assuming there is not much heat transfer.

There's a slight bit of a gouge but I did that the first time I put big mama between the pipe and steering box because I wasn't paying attention. I think the dent looks better than if I had removed the header and used a hammer because it's mostly from underneath and the top view is almost unchanged. The car has been driven in rain several time in 2 years and in some ugly coastal fog and there has been no rust, even in the gouge...

I must admit if they made the tri-y's when I got mine I would have got them as they are full length and still have plenty of clearence under the car. I'm in no way unhappy with the shorties though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hmmmm Doug's is in Riverside California.Explains why one of their company pickups was next to me at a stop light today.Too bad I dont need some new headers...maybe I could get a "good neighbor" discount.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Thanks, Dennis. I didn't realize they made non-Y headers!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I checked out the web site. Too bad I couldn't find pictures of their product. I need headers for a 350. In particular, (besides the steering box), I'm looking for adequate driver's side ground clearance. I'd even consider remoting the oil filter if I could obtian clearance on the driver's side.

-dnult

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
The avg headers have 4 tubes that come together at the collector. The tri-y design have the first 2 tubes (say cyl's 1&3 on driver side) come together into 1, then the sec 2 tubes come together (cyl's 5&7) into 1 and then the 2 each come together at the collector. Kinda like this,
Y Y
.Y

Dnult - Cris (CJ here) has the Thorleys (Doug's old business) on his SBC '68 they are the same design as I understand with no ground clearence problems from the collectors. Jess (MrGrumpy here) also has them on his '69 with no clearence problems... His Hookers use to drag on everything...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here are the Thorley tri-y's I put on my 383 stroker. They fit pretty well. The passenger side pip didn't line up real well with the crossmember hump, but we made it work. I ordered mine uncoated and had them jethot coated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts