Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of months ago I purchased a set of TMI factory looking bolstered seat covers and foams for my 69. I just got them in the car due to nobody stocking a white cover. The install is pretty much the. Same as a regular seat, but I did not use the cotton batting. The seats I removed were fresh with no broken springs, cotton batting, burlap, and new foams. The seats looked good, but had no real support. It felt like I was sitting on the floor. Maybe the springs were weak from all the years of service. Who knowes?

The new seats are actually "new" frames from golden star. I went the rout of new frames as I didn't want to wonder if the springs were compromised. This is what I have as far as measurements. I am 5 foot 9 inches tall. So I guess average height.

Original seat I had 3 inches of head room.

TMI seat I have 1.5 inches of head room.

In the picture of both seats together the original is on the left. It looks like a big difference, but the tape says only 1.5 inch difference. Second picture is with TMI on drivers side, and original on passanger side.

The thing I didn't think about is the back of the seat. I have no measurements, but I am considerably closer to the steering wheel due to the extra foam in the TMI seats. I think a set of seat extenders is in the future. The feel of the seat as far as the bolster is not enough for me to say it was worth the upgrade. I have the seats now, so I will use them, but if you are planning sport driving, I would just get a sport seat. To rap it all up, would I use the TMI covers and bolster foams in a future build? The answer is probably not, the difference in the TMI and the stock reconditioned seats is minimal. Just wanted to post this as many are wondering the difference in seat measurements, and headroom with TMI in a first gen Camaro. Oh ... By the way my car is a 69 Z. Hope this helps Y all.

So I just went for a ride, so an update.

Seat extenders... Absolutely. Too close to the steering wheel. I have a tilt, and still not comfortable. I have a very short hair cut, and if I hit a slight bump , my hair hits the headliner. This means I will cut some metal out of my seat tracks.

My fix will be cutting my tracks and making them flush, and extending them at the same time. I think 2 inches will work.

Not to bash TMI, but I will not be doing any of these upgrades on stock seats on any of my future or current builds. Good luck with y'alls builds, and God speed.

Attachments

Reactions: Yellow69RSZ

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,243 Posts
Keith... I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures as I also have a white interior in my '69 and while I have new OEM style covers, the foam is way too mushy for me and honestly... with the suspension mods I've made and this coming... I'm going to need some serious side bolsters to stay put during "spirited" driving on twisty roads.

I'm constantly on the lookout for a reasonably priced take-out set of bucket sport seats and then hopefully I can find someone to make white covers that look close to the originals.

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I can't believe I forgot to post the pictures. They are in the original post now.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I also purchased the TMI bolstered seat foam and new TMI covers. The seats IMHO look great. I have not installed them in the car yet but I'm close. I did however sit in the seat ( seatback supported by a buddy) and I thought the support was pretty good. Only time will tell if I really like them once installed. Great write-up BTW, thx.

·
15,228 Posts
Are use them on my 69 with the sport foam and really liked them. Tilt wheel and 2 inch extenders do the trick

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a few pair of adjusters , so I started cutting. Took one inch off the front, and an inch and a quarter off the back to recline back just a bit. I tack welded them to a piece of angle so I would know exactly where they started. Going to set them back 2 inches as well. Will let Y all know how it turns out. I do already have tilt wheel. If the seats were black, they would be on Craigslist. White seats are hard to sell.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,906 Posts
Definitely a difference in height, even in the center section. Mine (OE vs TMI) were the same height in center section.

Did you install them yourself ? The most difficult part of the installation for me was getting the listing wire (I think that's what it's called) in the foam compressed enough to get it hog ringed to the springs. I sometimes wonder if folks skip that step or maybe I wasn't suppose to do that.:)

Thanks for the write up and measurement comparison.

btw Andrew, I finally found the legs I cut off of my original sliders. 3/4" indeed, plus the width of a cut-off wheel.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,906 Posts
Trying to explain. Here's a pic of a backrest with the original upholstery.

Note the paper wrapped wire (listing wire ?) around to perimeter where the factory covers were hogringed. I believe the TMI foam with it's own listing wire should be hog ringed to the original spring listing wire (in the above pic). Then of course, the new covers hogringed to the foam listing wire.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes you are absolutely correct. It was a pain, but I did hog ring the foams to the seat, and then ring the cover to the foam. Was a pain in the rear. Fortunately I have a spring loaded set of hog ring pliers that the ring will stay in while mashing down hard to get to the spring. I have done several seats. These just don't seem to be worth all the hype to me. In dedicated at this point. I cut the 2 tracks for the passanger side and will install them maybe tomorrow. I don't see a point in moving that seat back 2 inches.

And it is called a paper coated listing wire. You are correct.

·
15,228 Posts
You are also comparing new seat foam and covers to seat foam that may be decades old.

The seat will also “settle” a bit with use.

Reactions: 69-Pace

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,906 Posts
As I understand it, the stock seat Keith is referring to (pic in OP) has been restored, so the comparison with TMI should be fair. What's odd is my original, worn seat was the same height (not including bolsters) as the with new TMI upholstery.

I agree, they do settle a little in short time.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The stock seat was rebuilt with new foams from legendary, new cotton, and burlap. That seat had no broken springs, and the side springs replaced. Seat had less than 800 miles on it. I'm not sure when TMI did it, but I believe they changed the come a bit. The picture with the TMI. Cover and foam is on a brand new seat with new springs. That could be part of it, but TMI did tell me the foams will make the seats taller. They told me different from what is in the earlier linked post from like 2013 or whenever it was.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My personal experience was all good..I have a stock 67 Camaro and my 68 pro touring and I find them quite a bit better. You do sit a bit higher and forward but at 5.10 works good for me.. Easy to install after I rebuilt the fort and rear seats completely . ( car is mini tubed)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
My personal experience was all good..I have a stock 67 Camaro and my 68 pro touring and I find them quite a bit better. You do sit a bit higher and forward but at 5.10 works good for me.. Easy to install after I rebuilt the fort and rear seats completely . ( car is mini tubed).
Your seats and your car look great. However your seat covers and foams are not the same as mine. They make 3 different versions now. Yours has much more bolster than the stock looking seats.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My personal experience was all good..I have a stock 67 Camaro and my 68 pro touring and I find them quite a bit better. You do sit a bit higher and forward but at 5.10 works good for me.. Easy to install after I rebuilt the fort and rear seats completely . ( car is mini tubed).

Your seats and your car look great. However your seat covers and foams are not the same as mine. They make 3 different versions now. Yours has much more bolster than the stock looking seats.
That makes sense... I thought you saying not much difference then stock was a bit funny... mine definitely feel different then stock now I know. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Keith, the seats in the pic are 2 different whites. Is the left one faded or parchment?

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are both white. The one on the left is about a year old, and from legendary. It is a little dirty, but I feel the TMI is slightly brighter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts