Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1968 camaro in which I am installing a ZZ 427 crate motor. Just got it into the car and now the drag link is hitting the oil pan, as the oil is larger than the original 396 oil pan. My question is: how far does the drag link move from front to back when the steering wheel is turned from center to lock. Not wanting to buy another new oil pan or modify this one.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Have a 1968 camaro in which I am installing a ZZ 427 crate motor. Just got it into the car and now the drag link is hitting the oil pan, as the oil is larger than the original 396 oil pan. My question is: how far does the drag link move from front to back when the steering wheel is turned from center to lock. Not wanting to buy another new oil pan or modify this one.

Yeah, it comes with the "truck pan".

GM recommends pan # 12495360. It's a 4 quart pan.

There is a thread where a guy modified the truck pan, but either way it will need to come off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input from both Don's. We've come to the conclusion that the pan will have to come off and be modified. Didn't want to do that but also don't want to mess with the geometry of the steering. Can't believe that Chevrolet is selling this engine as a "retro" engine and the damn oil pan won't fit in a 1st gen Camaro. Thanks again guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts