Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 68 out to the local drag strip last weekend and came away very disappointed. I have went in the past and the car runs right around 13 seconds every time. This time, the track seemed to be really hooking up. I did a small burnout (street tires) and then staged. I brought the rpm's up to around 1500 (700R4 transmission) and floored it. Any other time the car would just spin the tires until I let off or I would ease it off the line to prevent the spinning. Anyway, this time, the car launched and then immediately started missing and sputtering. It would barely run until about 1/4 the way down the track with me letting off the gas and then rolling into it. This happened everytime I ran. The last time the car completely died and I had to restart it. The car seems to run fine otherwise. On the way home, I found a deserted section of road and repeated the launh and it spun like crazy as usual.
Any ideas? The alternator was acting up so I thought that may have been an issue. I run a MSD 6A box. But it should act up all the time if it was going bad right? Another thought was that with the better launch the gas may be sloshing in the carb and therefore causing the miss and stumbling.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Really? See, I wouldn't think it was fuel slosh. Not in a 13.0 car, and an automatic at that.

just based on the minimal data given, I'd go more with engine electrical and connectors, including engine grounding points.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
I'm going with fuel related as well, possibly need jet extensions or float level is too low or both.
Reason being, when it finally hooks it craps out (immediately), but if it's spinning, not leaving hard its fine. Anything else besides fuel would pretty much always respond the same regardless of good traction.
What carb are you running?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies. The carb is an Edelbrock 750cfm. The motor is a mild 454.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I don;t think it is fuel slosh but, I think it is carb/timing related. When the car hooks that puts more of a load on the engine. We have all rev'd a car in park or neutral and they run fine but, when you put it in gear they don;t want to run as well. Similar thing here, when the tires are spinning there is little load on the engine. I bet a little tuning is in order, it could be your stall is not high enough for your combination, not enough detail to say for sure.

Fuel slosh would take 1/4 of the track to clear up. The first place I would start is with your squirter settings, I bet it is a little lean off the line which is why it is bogging and trying to die. When burning rubber the engine revs fast enough to cover up the "hole" but, when you have a load on it the engine is reving slower and causing the engine to be in the "bog zone" longer.

Just an educated guess on the info given. In either case it is a minor problem that you should be able to tune out.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Royce. The stall is a 2100 and I was launching at about 1500-1700. I'll check the timing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts