Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read this on the forum somewhere in the past but now I can't find it.

Can I unclamp the rubber fuel line away from the "hard" fuel line down near the tank and drain the tank that way???

Also, how would I stop the flow of fuel if I needed to change storage canisters? Could I use a vice grips to do that???

I need to chage my tank soon and this step has me a little nervous because of the gas element....

Of course, I filled my tank basically to the top before I put it away for the Winter.
of course...

·
Registered
94 Posts
A quick and easy way to drain your tank is to disconnect the fuel line where you mentioned...at the tank where the rubber hose attaches to the hard line. Next, if you have an air compressor then simply grab a shop rag and your air blower and remove the gas cap and stick them in there and blow air into the gas tank. It doesn't take much pressure. Oh, you might want to attach a length of rubber hose to the hard fuel line so that you can stick it into some sort of gas can.
NOTE: Keep the gas container on the ground for grounding purposes and you might want to have a fire extinguisher handy or at least a buddy with the garden hose :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The way I have done mine which is probley the safest, easiest and fastest is to use a siphon hose with the squeeze bulb on it. To stop the flow either open the vent or lift up the tube in the tank.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Assuming the car is in a normal "attitude" and all the fuel lines are installed, if you take the rubber line off the inlet to the fuel pump, up front, and put it in a buckey, every drop of fuel in the car will come out.

If the system was primed, you won't even have to suck on it.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I rigged up an electric fuel pump mounted on a hand truck and pumped all the gas out into 5 gallon fuel jugs. I did this when I changed out the tank and sender unit. By pumping in a known amount of gas I could judge how well the new gauge was calibrated to the amount of gas that was actually in the tank

When the gauge reads straight up (half full) I know that I have 9 gallons of gas in the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts