Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that some of you guys drill holes in your thermostat?? What would be the benefit of getting this little flow of coolant before the thermostat actually opens up??

Someone on this board said that Chevy's run best at the 180-195 degree range. Do they have better performance in this temp range or they just burn off all gases, fuel, etc??

Thanks
Kevin

------------------
68 Camaro
327 SB, TH 350
3.73 12 bolt posi

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think mine runs better at that temp. I have the center exhaust (to heat up the carb) blocked off so it doesn't run real well cold, and you shouldn't rev your engine when cold cause it can cause damage so I hear at least. Too hot and I don't get very good performance but that middle line seems to work well IMO.

I don't drill holes in my stat, some do I have no idea why. When I start up the car I just run the heater till it gets hot then shut it off.

·
10,164 Posts
A small hole can aid filling of the radiator by letting trapped air out. An 1/8" hole is plenty.
Some thermostats have small dimples in the seat to allow air to vent and don't need this trick.
In cold weather you don't want too much coolant to bypass there or your heater won't work well.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
315 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts