Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want put a holley sniper fuel module into my existing gas tank. It requires a 2-3/4 holesaw drilled into the top of the tank near sending the unit.
can this be done safely? Do I have start with a new tank? I figure rather drill into nice but old tank instead of new one. Not sure of any heat or spark using the hole saw.
thx

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
I think the only way I'd consider doing this would be if I first washed out the tank and then filled it slap full of water before drilling. If full of fumes one spark will launch you into space for the ride of your life.
But I'd probably just buy a new tank to be safe.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Drop your tank out of the car, drain it, clean out your tank properly and drill the hole. Pretty simple stuff. I use soapy water and swirl around, side to side, front to back, etc, for a few rounds of cleaning. Once the fumes are gone, you're good to go. Never had an issue cutting, drilling or welding.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I like the idea of washing it out with water as suggested by YenkoSC and then put your shop vac hose into it (with a reducer) and blow air into the tank to dry it completely or fill it with water as Andrew69 suggested. I'd think that either method would be safe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To one guys question, they (holley ) have a intank pump for a carb. They made up a wayvto drill the big hole drop it in and tighten the bolts. The bracket moves from the underside and locks in place. I think I will pull it out, if tank it mint and original I won’t drill it I will get a repop.
If it’s sort of ugly on top I will fill with water and drill then clean it out.
thc

·
Registered
767 Posts
Have any electrician buddies ?
See if you could borrow this ? (or rent one)

Drill a small hole for the arbor, assemble, tighten, and perfect hole.

View attachment 290393
The punch is the size of the hole so you will never get it into the tank.

As for the original question...
Scrub with hot soapy water & rinse with water a few times, then blow dry with an air hose & it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
There is a radiator shop in Waller that also works on tanks. He steam cleans them.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
Drilling a hole is not going to make it spark. I scrap 4-6 cars a day. I cut the tanks in half with a sawzaw. Been doing it for years. Never made any kind of spark. They are not pure steel. They are a very soft alloy metal. Water in the tank if you're nervous is fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts