Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS 383 stroker and T-56 trans
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put in a T56 from SST. Everything installed as expected, however, the transmission mount sets lower (to make room for the T56 in the tunnel), and tilts the engine assembly back a couple degrees. I'm unable to use a taller trans mount, due to the shifter area is already as high as possible without cutting my tunnel area. This doesn't cause any issues, except due to the engine being tilted back, my headers are now at quite an angle. So much that it's visible when looking at the side of the car.

I have ceramic coated hedman headers with a ball & socket connection to my H-pipe, so the connection seals, but creates a bit of a "V" shape with the angle they meet with the exhaust. Previously my exhaust sat straight and level, tucked neatly under the car. I've been letting it go, but now I'm trying to get the stance I want which includes lowering my front end suspension at least an inch, and I know that's going to cause clearance issues with my headers (drivers side hangs lower for some reason).

Any ideas of the best method to make my exhaust level again? installing new headers seems easiest if i can get solid measurements and find a set that doesn't dip down quite as low.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Well, the problem is you really need to cut your tunnel for a T56 done correctly. Yes you can fit it in there without it but your drivetrain angles aren't going to be correct, and you will get extra strain on the Ujoints and likely will get some vibration. About 1.5 degrees is the right place to target. There are headers that are lower than others so changing headers might get the low problem addressed as a bandaid to the real problem.

·
15,491 Posts
I have installed several T56s and T56 magnums into 1st Gens.
In my experience you cannot achieve correct driveline angle and keep the header tucked tight without cutting the tunnel.

there are some system that lower the engine and transmission relative to the subframe To achieve driveline angle but you sacrifice ground clearance for the headers and oil pan.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
OP

it been advised very clear how the T56 should have been installed. Now you want to lower the front which will only exacerbate the header to ground clearance issue.

IMHO I would re-visit the T56 install (read cut tunnel and use a new tunnel patch sheet metal).

Your DL angle is now off. You can angle shim the rear end to help bring it back closer but IDK if you can get enough angle correction solely with that method...which typically involves both angled shim and to raise rear of trans to resolve.

Regarding a header fix only...mid length headers would be a option...or "bending" your existing headers (would take a lot of heat to do that) but your DL angle is something you need to deal with

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess ill start looking into the tunnel mod. I'm a fairly decent MIG welder so tackling that job may not be terrible if its a well planned cut/weld and lay carpet/console to cover it all up. then look into a different crossmember or maybe a taller trans mount.

thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
i guess ill start looking into the tunnel mod. I'm a fairly decent MIG welder so tackling that job may not be terrible if its a well planned cut/weld and lay carpet/console to cover it all up. then look into a different crossmember or maybe a taller trans mount.

thanks for the input!!
There are a several companies that have premade tunnel kits to raise it that might be worth looking at. Most if not all let you use the stock console without any problems.

·
15,491 Posts
I use the Speedtech tunnel plate.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,694 Posts
I just had the Bowler one put in my car. Had to raise the trans up around 1.5 inches, the tunnel is around 2” higher. I would try to achieve 1-3 degrees driveline angle. TREMEC has a smart phone app that makes to process easier to avoid having driveline vibrations.
4AEBD297-6198-4E30-A387-84228CDD23BA.jpeg

Reactions: 69-T56

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the Speedtech tunnel plate.

Thanks!!! Makes me feel better knowing you've used that one successfully. It'll be worth the extra work to get it in properly. Any suggestion on a proper crossmember fit after the tunnel mod?

·
15,491 Posts
Check Silversport. I’ve used them before and happy with the fit and quality.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Thanks!!! Makes me feel better knowing you've used that one successfully. It'll be worth the extra work to get it in properly. Any suggestion on a proper crossmember fit after the tunnel mod?
Why not make a spacer and keep your crossmember ? I think you can get taller trans mounts from Summit.
You're basically going straight up with the tail of the trans.

·
15,491 Posts
Why not make a spacer and keep your crossmember ? I think you can get taller trans mounts from Summit.
You're basically going straight up with the tail of the trans.
Depends on how the crossmember to exhaust fits when the transmission is raised.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depends on how the crossmember to exhaust fits when the transmission is raised.
that's a good point. once I get it situated with the new tunnel, ill see what im working with. thanks again to the group! always solid advice on here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently put in a T56 from SST. Everything installed as expected, however, the transmission mount sets lower (to make room for the T56 in the tunnel), and tilts the engine assembly back a couple degrees. I'm unable to use a taller trans mount, due to the shifter area is already as high as possible without cutting my tunnel area. This doesn't cause any issues, except due to the engine being tilted back, my headers are now at quite an angle. So much that it's visible when looking at the side of the car.

I have ceramic coated hedman headers with a ball & socket connection to my H-pipe, so the connection seals, but creates a bit of a "V" shape with the angle they meet with the exhaust. Previously my exhaust sat straight and level, tucked neatly under the car. I've been letting it go, but now I'm trying to get the stance I want which includes lowering my front end suspension at least an inch, and I know that's going to cause clearance issues with my headers (drivers side hangs lower for some reason).

Any ideas of the best method to make my exhaust level again? installing new headers seems easiest if i can get solid measurements and find a set that doesn't dip down quite as low.

Thanks!
Here is my story, it may or may not help..?? my 2nd gen camaro I bought I noticed the Driver side headers were flattened somewhat from being scraped... they were lower than the passenger side, (they were ok.) on investigation, front springs were 2inch dropped hotchkiss, also had lowered summit front control arms..... car was way too low for my liking..had tire rub marks inside fenders...!!
I installed HD standard camaro front springs, this raised car to virtually production height, and legal here. Also I couldn't believe it levelled the headers near perfect from the ground..but it did,..my problem solved..good luck..???
pics on this site somewhere..lol cheers Den.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I put a T56 Magnum in my Z and to get the proper driveline angles I had to cut the tunnel from the rear of the trans to the firewall. You can cut a minimum out and easily hand form some sheet metal for a new cover. I minimized the amount I needed to cut so I could maintain the original console and the new raised cover fits into the void under my console. Here is a photo of how much I needed to cut out and the panel I welded in. The two studs sticking up are used to bolt on my console. Initially I tried cutting out just for the shifter tower, but could not get the correct driveline angles so more had to go. You can make a small portion of the new cover (patch panel) over just the shifter tower removable so you can easily remove the shifter mechanism from the top of the trans if necessary (e.g., seal leaks or repair needed) without having to remove the whole trans.
Trans Surgery 1.jpg Trans Surgery 2.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts