Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed DSE 3" drop leafs and new 12 bolt rear in my 69 and noticed with wheels on that the driver side tire is about 3/8 closer to front of quarter panel than passenger side, the rear ended is located correctly on the leaf pins. Anybody notice this before? Car has never been wrecked. Suggestions???

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had a similar isuue when I put 2" drops in my 69. It was even before the swap. I was able to loosen both sides and moved one side forward and one side back (there was a little wiggle room) and now they are even. I did not reuse the cushions from the old springs, I got new ones from Ricks.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
I had a similar isuue when I put 2" drops in my 69. It was even before the swap. I was able to loosen both sides and moved one side forward and one side back (there was a little wiggle room) and now they are even. I did not reuse the cushions from the old springs, I got new ones from Ricks.
If you have a 12 bolt with the locating pins, there is no wiggle room. The rear end will index on the locating pin.

Just installed DSE 3" drop leafs and new 12 bolt rear in my 69 and noticed with wheels on that the driver side tire is about 3/8 closer to front of quarter panel than passenger side, the rear ended is located correctly on the leaf pins. Anybody notice this before? Car has never been wrecked. Suggestions???
How does the car sit? Is it level? Are the front leaf spring mounting brackets both correct for your car? Did you tighten everything with the weight on the ground or in the air?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Factory spring pockets correct for the car. I tightened everything with the car in the air, yes it sits level.

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
485 Posts
should locate on the pins but the only place that allows any flex or leeway would be the rear shackles. check the lean angle of both sides, raise car up from ear axle and put on jack stands, loosen all 4 bolts on both rear shackles just past snug, lower to the ground with car weight on the wheels, re-tighten shackle bolts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will do that , thank you, don't know why I didn't know that lol

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
485 Posts
well, gotta start somewhere. i would guess that the rear shackles are probably not leaning in or out (should lean in slightly) at the same angle and that's whats causing the issue. also, if you torqued everything down with the car in the air (which i did on my first try, that's how i know this) then that could also be the issue. i would start with rear shackles first and leave front spring pocket bolts alone. try that and see what you get. if no good, repeat the raising and loosening process on the front spring pocket bolts then re-torque with weight of car on the ground.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I appreciate all ur input a great deal . I'll c what happens in a couple days

·
Registered
886 Posts
I guess I don't understand how the rear shackles could cause this problem. The front perch is a fixed position with zero movement forward or back. Sure the rear shackles are going to be at a slight angle going forward but that is more of a function of the arch of the springs. If the spring has less arch the shackle angle would be less. Has the quarter or wheel house on that side ever been replaced?

·
10,147 Posts
There is wiggle room in the front leaf bracket clip nuts to the body and clearance between two of the bolts and mount. One inner bracket bolt does the indexing and there is only a bit of room between bolt and bracket there, but the clip can also move in the body. I'd loosen the 3 front bracket bolts and slide them both for better alignment. There's also a tang that fits into a slot on the forward edge of each bracket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts