Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car:
1989 Camao
V8 305 TBI
Automatic

Problem:
While driving from 30MPH - 45MPH that the temperature actually slowly starts to rise instead of drop. When pulling up to a red light the fan is on trying to cool things down; but then after sitting there the temp drops and the fan goes off. Once you get to 30 - 50 MPH it starts to slowly rise again with the fan coming on. I thought there was a airdam that went from the vent on the front of the car to the radiator. If there was I would imagine this car is probably missing it after having the front end repaired. Where (if it exists) should I look for it? and what could be causing the temp to slowly rise while moving?

Thanks in Advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
yup- i think the airdam is the culprit. i don't know exactly what it looks lke on those cars, but if it can't breathe at engine speeds, it aint gonna stay cool. at lower speeds, the fan is able to keep up, so it cools down.

how "hot' does it get? anything under about 230 (i think) is normal for these cars, as long as you've got a good radiator cap to hold the pressure.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Also, check for bad connections. Use a volt meter and measure accross various connections in both the hot and ground circuits. For example, measure negative cable to engine block, negative cable to frame, positive cable to guage power. You should see less than a few hundredths of a volt drop at each point.

If you have a bad connection, charging currents can throw the ground voltage off (for example) and make the meter misread. The temp guage uses the engine block for the sensor ground and the body for guage ground. If these two grounds aren't within a few millivolts of one another, the guage will misread.

·
Registered
416 Posts
A piece of black plastic, about 4 feet long and 5 inches down. Mounts to the bottom of the radiator support. May still be available from GM. IIRC the price is reasonable. Common for them to be missing.

Another area to check which is a common a problem as the missing air dam, is debris clogging the radiator. Being a bottom breather a lot of 'stuff' gets picked up and tossed over the A/C condensor. Where it fills up the area between the A/C condensor and the radiator.

Under the hood above the rad, a few bolts hold the upper radiator mount in place. Remove that and look down between the condensor and radiator. I've removed the big stuff with a stick, then lift the rad up about an inch and block it. Use a garden hose to push the rest out under the rad with the spray.

It's better to just remove the radiator to clean it. But that means draining the coolant.

I've used a piece of the water pipe insulating foam and pushed it into the gap above the A/C condensor. This prevents this from happening again.

Bob.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I used to service those cars when they were new, the air dam was in the back and we had to put them on as part of the new car service. There was a bulletin from GM advising us not to let the salesman test drive the cars until the air dam was installed or they WILL overheat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts