Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 1968 camaro. It was a base 327 car with A/C and it is still sitting on the original front springs (I believe). Now I've got a 350 in it with an aluminum radiator and no A/C.

I've been working on the rear suspension and I've got it right where I want it. But the front end is sitting a bit high. Looking in the FAM, it appears that the front end (rocker measurement) is supposed to be about 3/4 of an inch higher than the rear end (rocker measurement). I kinda prefer a car to look level versus raked or squatting... I want to bring the nose down a bit so I was thinking of cutting some out of my front coil springs.

Any idea how much I should cut out of stock springs to drop the front 1/2 an inch?

FYI, this is just to get things looking "right" until I shell out for a Hotchkiss TVS which may be a couple years away.

Thanks,
Sal

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,785 Posts
1 full coil gave me 2" drop on my Moog Z-28 replacement springs.

So I would hazard a guess that 1/2 coil would be 1" an 1/4 coil would be 1/2"....APPROXIMATELY !!!

·
10,144 Posts
Most of the first coil is flattened, plus it seats in the A arm or top mount in a similar shaped spring seat. So the first coil or portions of it cut off doesn't do a lot, maybe nothing until you reach a full coil and the end can drop down into the spring pocket again. at that point, it drops a half inch or so, which is 1" at the wheels. The second coil loses the diameter of the coil, plus the gap between the coils, which is probably twice the first coil loss.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
This is a fairly inexpensive route with almost infinite adjustability. It is what I did and am very happy, takes out all the trial and error and guess work.

Nine inch springs in whatever rate you want and adjustable spring spacers. Save you a ton of money on the front compared to tvs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts