Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. the front of this BB pace car is exactly one inch too high. Thinking of cutting the coils, does anyone have experience with how much to cut of the end? Or is it basically trial and error? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
1 full coil on my all steel SBC was 2"....figure 1/2 would be 1"-ish

I would hazard a guess that 1/4 coil off a BBC should be close to 1"

·
13,830 Posts
If you cut 1/2 coil you're just cutting of the flattened part.

I'd cut about 3/4 of a coil.

·
Super Moderator
32,345 Posts
If you cut 1/2 coil you're just cutting of the flattened part. I'd cut about 3/4 of a coil.
Would you not cut from the open end - bottom of coil?
The closed end, ground flat end, fits into frame rail pocket, does it not?
Educate me, please.

Thereby, if I cut the bottom end/coil, I can turn the coil for the wire end fitting into the lower control arm pocket and not worry where the top lays.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There is no Golden Rule as Spring Rates, Wire Diameter, etc. So it is Trial & Error. Cutting a Spring will change the Spring Rate.

If your Coils are Flat at the Top, you can do 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or 1 Coils. You always cut from Open (Pig Tail) end.

Never use a Cutting Torch to cut a Spring!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
I would buy new lowering springs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
On my 69 Camaro with a 454 big block and new big block springs I removed 1/3 coil from the bottom of the spring. This lowered my car 3/4". I aligned the upper flattened end to the hole in the upper pocket. I wish I would have removed 1/2 coil to get a full inch drop.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Never use a Cutting Torch to cut a Spring
you can! just place the spring in a bucket of cold water up to where you want to cut

1 - 8 of 8 Posts