Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a GM 10 bolt posi unit under my old '59 Apache P/U not sure what year GM vehicle its out of. It has the (2) piece adjustment lever. Had leaking wheel cylinders and saturated shoes. Rebuild was in order. Upon putting the finishing touches on adjustments I noticed the adjuster lever has play in it and is not making positive contact with the star wheel...see pic. The star wheel is worn and it will be replaced.

Would like to know what years GM ran with this kind of set-up. It appears it was superseded at some point by a (1) piece lever with an additional helper spring to keep upward tension on the star wheel. This (2) piece arm is sloppy at best. The fixed link in the pic is non-adjustable and the lower spring wants to lift the arm away from the wheel.

Whats the fix here.... what am i missing??????

See attached pics for more clarity....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I hope I'm not offending anyone on this site for asking for help on a non-Camaro vehicle. Its a GM rear end and it might very well be out of an early Camaro...of what vintage I'm not sure. I'm sure someone has run into this problem before and has an answer to my question.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
It seems to me it is not assembled correctly. That set up was used forever basically. Go online and get a blown up view and disassemble one side and compare. If you need parts I have plenty N/C or NAPA carries it all as well.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I did not catch the 2 pc lever comment. Somebody improvise???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. OK, Now that we have an era of where this rear end came out of most importantly I need some technical direction now relating to my dilemma.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems to me it is not assembled correctly. That set up was used forever basically. Go online and get a blown up view and disassemble one side and compare. If you need parts I have plenty N/C or NAPA carries it all as well.
What appears to be wrong? What jumps off the page at you. I can't seem to find anything closely related on the web that would give me a real good prospective of what it should look like.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not catch the 2 pc lever comment. Somebody improvise???
The auto adjuster arm is virtually in (2) separate pieces...you have to interlock them. Whereas most other GM arrangements have a (1) piece arm. Must have been an improvement over the (2) piece.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only 2 piece adjuster I can recall would be 80's C10 pickup.
I can't find anything on the web the shows a (2) piece adjuster in 80's range for C10 P/U's. If it wouldn't be to much bother could you provide a link or something that corroborate's your recollection ...would appreciate it very very much.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
the spring right above blue arrow in first pic for one. It does not look like its sitting right or perhaps location?. My year range was totally incorrect with a 2 pc adjuster arm.
If the ebrake cable comes in at the right spot could you convert the whole assembly for the one pc.?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
s-15 brakes.jpg is this it?

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,591 Posts
I can't find anything on the web the shows a (2) piece adjuster in 80's range for C10 P/U's. If it wouldn't be to much bother could you provide a link or something that corroborate's your recollection ...would appreciate it very very much.
I meant to type S10 not C10. Search 82-93 S10 rear brakes. They are 9-1/2" also.
Edit: Might be later models also. It's been a long time since I was into one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright BINGO '82 S-10 direct replacements (2) piece. Yeah! This is good to know for sure.....but I think there is something else going on....but for the money I can't go wrong purchasing (2) sets and installing them then see where I stand....cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Sorry George I clicked on it and blew it up on my desktop and as Al states its S-10 that is an image of S-10 S-15 brakes. If your using a phone I get it. Never see it but its the image you need.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again Vince...just might need to find a well stocked library and copy a couple of pages out of a Chilton's, Motor's or some other service manual. Might shine a bit more light on the configuration.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wanted to follow up with what I discovered. These particular brakes are attached to a 8.5 housing like in the pic. It is posi even has a tag on the gear case indicating that. As best I could I transposed the letters/numbers off the passenger axle tube. PU G072 2. It tends to follow the Nova decoding except for the measured distance between the backing plates. Mine is roughly 54-1/2".

62 - 67 yrs. 50-3/4"
68 - 79 yrs. 53-1/4"

So what exactly do I have under this truck?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts