Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am working on a '67 Camaro and need to reassemble the rear drum brakes. It seems like it shouldn't be that hard but when you have a pile of springs, brackets and levers it doesn't reassemble intuitively.

This morning I realized I have in storage a pair of built drum brakes. I pulled them out and below are photographs. To differentiate between RH & LH side note the emergency brake cable goes toward the front of the car.

I figured this might help someone else.

Exit: The RH side is identified as incorrectly assembled. The photo has been deleted and will be reposted when the assembly is corrected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
One good reason to take pictures like that with a cell phone....reassembly time!

Mike

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Andrew, your picture of the right rear assembly has the self adjuster lever located incorrectly. It should be on the rear(secondary) shoe. The lever and actuating arm are for the right rear.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Andrew, your picture of the right rear assembly has the self adjuster lever located incorrectly. It should be on the rear(secondary) shoe. The lever and actuating arm are for the right rear.
Now that is interesting and thank you for catching it. When I bought my car as a rolling body these were installed and I removed them for disc brakes. I'm glad I didn't use them.

I did think it odd the self adjustor wasn't on the cable tugging side and I might have figured it out when I build this '67's brakes. They should be a mirror image of each other. Within the next few day's I'll correct that right side unit and post a fresh photo.

·
20,008 Posts
This is why you do one side at a time ;)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I worked to rebuild the RH side drum brake and determined the parts of concern are incorrect for the RH side. So I cannot rebuild it and post a correct photo for you all. So the LH side photo in the first post for now will have to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts