Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey guys. How does the drum itself come off once the wheel is off? Do I need a gear puller or am I missing something?

I did a search but this must be too rudimentary.
Nope just a hammer and some patience. Some drums have a slot where you can stick a brake tool and or screwdriver and spin the little star wheels to move the shoes in.

However tempting do not beat on the studs...you can mushroom them out!

This site has some useful pics...I never had to use a puller and I have pulled some nasty drums!

http://www.aa1car.com/library/drum_brakes.htm

Nice lookin vert you have there!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You should be able to back off the stare adjuster. As for beating on them with a hammer??? Don't you can crack the drum. Just use a dead-blow. All you need to do is break the drum free if it's rusted to the axle flange. Once it is and the shoes are adjusted in they should just pull off.

·
Premium Member
19,488 Posts
I got the spring removal tool and through it away the first time I tried to use it. A large screwdriver and a par of pliers worked better for me. A handy tool to have would be the one that turns the caps on the two hold down springs.

Roger

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
I got the spring removal tool and through it away the first time I tried to use it. A large screwdriver and a par of pliers worked better for me. A handy tool to have would be the one that turns the caps on the two hold down springs.

Roger
What kind? I've had one for years and it works fine. Removal and installation. I saw a pair of needlenose pop off a spring and pierce a guy's cheek clean through. I told him not to use them but that's his problem.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Only do the brakes one side at a time. if you take apart both sides you won't have anything to look at to see how it's supposed to go back together, because you WON'T remember after you take apart the brakes.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts

Roger
the proper tools are nice- but you can take them apart and put them back together with only a skinny flat screwdriver for the springs a and a pair of pliers for the shoe retainers. but the proper tools really are the way to go when you are putting it back together with new hardware- new springs are a lot stronger than the 40 year old rusty things you take off..

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was a bitch.....still have to do re do the lines tomorrow. Yes chuck the spring tool in the garbage.

I have some 20" metal lines to go from the drums to mid axel. Any flex connectors out there to go to the T fitting without all the custom bends?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts