Team Camaro Tech banner

dry lifters

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  shoofly 
#1 ·
I read a post on dry rocker arms and the conclution was bad lifters. I seem to have that same problem I have good oil pressure but only #1 exh rocker is really pumping oil like I think it should. My question is if a lifter was bad like (you were not getting any oil to the rocker) could I assume that the valves were not opening fully? thanks

#4 ·
How long have you known this engine?
Or is this an all of a sudden problem on an engine you know formerly lubed the top end?

If this is a new engine to you, check the pushrods.
An old trick to cut oil consumption through the valve guides was to "wick" the pushrods. They would stuff a pipe cleaner into the pushrod so no oil could flow.
Tim

#5 ·
If you suspect all or most of the lifters are collasped, I would first try to back off on adjustment and let motor run,if it will. Try to get them to pump back up and then readjust. They could have been adjusted too far down . If they won't hold pressure, then I would try to take each one out and apart and attempt to clean . Many times the piddle valves and disc become clogged or stuck from setting up with gunk. Put them back together and readjust , give them a chance to pump back up. Marvel oil is good here on assembly.
What you would want to try to do is keep those lifters if they are not worn out at the bottom and on the matched cam and cam lobe . If that don't work, its cam time with new lifters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.