Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for some info from guys that have done this .

#1 how easy was it to patch the frame after cutting into it for clearance.

#2 Dot they provide a template for cutting the floor out .

#3Can you use the original back seat .

·
Registered
574 Posts
I thought it was pretty easy, and I dont consider myself a professional welder as a matter of fact I started welding maybe 6 months before I did the job. They recommend 1/8" steel plate for the filler pieces, the existing frame is rather thin material. This adds a lot of strength since the frame gets thin right before it makes the radius for the wheel house. I find it easy to MIG weld thicker metals to thinner metals since you can concentrate a lot of the heat on the thicker material with out burning through and sort of work your way in to the thinner material. As long as you have good penetration and your willing to take the time to do a little grinding, it will come out nice.

No template for the floor, just dimensions. I measured many times and still cut it short to creep up on the fit. The better the fit, the easier the welding. You will cutting through the upper shock towers so be prepared to use there upper shock cross member or someone elses(mine was a 67 non staggered shocks so I cant speak for the 68/69 shock location).

I did use the original back seat, with mods to the seat frame structure. And I used the stock repro seat covers and just pulled it in tucked it and hog ringed it. looks great.

It is very very cool looking at 315/335 rear tires sitting completely under the wells from the back of the car. DO IT!!

http://www.lateral-g.net/members/barbara/

Rich

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but arent DSE Tubs basically like stock inner wheel wells but just say 3-3.5 inches deeper? I mean I dunno if they are but I was thinking to be cost effective..

I got springs, Im sure theres a better in some way but id use what i have for now.

Just buy there Offset shackles Shock Mounts, Cross member and shock perches..

Buy stock wheel wells for 85 bucks and just cut it out add 3inch tub inside it and save like 150 bucks since there tubs are what 350-390? Cutting the frame should be pretty simple with out a template just make it so the tub fit.. and Id personalyl weld a 1/4 plate about 8 inches on the opposite side to make sure there would be no way of the thin part stressing and some how bending, because honestly even with an 1/8 Filler plate dont you guys think it really weakens the rear frame? and there isnt much there to begin with.

I dunno just a thought figure you could save
about 300-400 bucks if you was a do it yourselfer on a low budget... or you could just make your own tubs even cheaper if u had access to a roller

1 - 3 of 3 Posts