Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run dual exhaust on my 86 IROC and some places are saying no, and some are saying yes but for a good high price. I have seen duals on a 3rd generation camaro and firebird before. Does anybody know a good shop that will do it for a decent price around the dallas/fort worth area.

------------------
no ***, no grass, no gas, no free ride!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Man, I wouldnt do that... i have seen them done and they look retarded... I dont want to make your decision for you, but these f bodies are made for a Y pipe to single to duel outlet exhaust only... because there is no room under the car to place 2 mufflers, they put them as the tailpipes.. and you have to use Very small mufflers, I would just get a edlebrock Catback on it , it will sound just as good if not better than duels...and not to mention look alot better too..

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You won't pass the emissions test here in Texas with duals unless you put on dual cats. There is not enough room under the driver's footwell to put a cat. If you put one there anyway, you will catch your carpet on fire. The North Texas area is about to get stuck with some pretty restrictive emissions testing, so I wouldn't do it.

Try to find a dual cat system like they used on later cars or buy an aftermarket high flow cat. You can build a single system that flows as well as a dual. Look into one of the aftermarket systems. You will be a lot happier with it than a custom job cobbled together by the local muffler shop.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my new and improved website at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
188 Posts
about the only way that you can easliy fit dual is to use glass packs(strait through design) my neighbor has a 1986 trans am with that setup. his pipes are run directly next to each other under the car in the stcok location(down the passenger side) he then has two glasspacks turn side ways like a regular camaro muffler and then has the two L shaped tail pipes exiting out the back, both right next to each other on the drivers side. sorry it is hard to explain. it sounds some what loud, but i don't like the sound of glasspacks

·
20,629 Posts
i think flowmaster sells a kit thats 3" single to a dual outlet muffler (also 3" ? )...should be just what you need.

------------------

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can run duals but it does involve beating in the floor pans below the rear seats. The next problem is the rear suspension. there just isn't enough room over the axle for two pipes. You can have them exit before the rear wheels, but I would stick with a single 3" pipe. That is what I did on my 86. Sounds good works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts