Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if a duel 2500CFM electric fans are enough to cool say 600 hp BB using a 23" core radiator. I was looking at the duel 11" spal.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Duel fans are those who enjoy watching a fight. Dual fans would be a pair of air movers.

The dual 11"' setup should be quite sufficient, because when you are making 600 hp your fans will not be in play.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would it be better than a 18" flex Derale fan with a shroud? Besides the HP gain?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The fans you have there should work plenty fine. If you have any problems, I'd focus on the radiator core itself, but I don't see any reason to anticipate problems.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I too was concerned with cooling (gets pretty hot here in the summer sometimes 110) and coupled with the Los Angeles traffic all the more so. I went with most cooling I could get:

Ron Davis Radiator dual pass radiator with Dual Spal 13" fans.
Stewart Components Stage II water pump
Robert Shaw thermostat (available from Stewart Components).

I went with this based on a recommendation from a engine builder based in Las Vega Nevada that claimed he never saw over 180 on his high hp big block in the Las Vegas summer.

The dual Spal fans, Stewart Water pump, Robert Shaw Thermostat and Ron Davis radiator seems to be the trick setup for cooling, especially if you are making horsepower and are concerned with overheating idling along in traffic in the summer.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,629 Posts
Besides the spal fans, you can fit a LT1 or LS1 dual fan unit (4th gen F-body) to your 23 inch radiator and it works great! Some light trimming of the fan bracket and homemade brackets on the bottom. For the top I used the original shroud bracket. Here are a couple of pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts