Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question that'll really show my ignorance. I've never put hedders on before. Do you go to a muffler shop to make the remaining pipes and mufflers or should you get the kits form the hedder mfg? Hedman seems to have universl reduces and extensions, Dynomax looks like they have a complete dual system specifically for the model car.
BTW I have 68 Camaro RS conv 6 cyl 4 speed going to be 350 4 speed.

·
19,835 Posts
watch what size you order, most are 2.25 or 2.5". Flowmaster makes two kits for the first Gen. 1) is true duals w/ H-pipe 2)duals to single muffler and twin tailpipes ( like stock).Although you could get one made at the local muffler shop.Its your car/choice.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can tell you right now that most kits will not fit convertible. I have a conv. with a 350 engine and A/C.
The pipes from the headers back to the rear axle will have to be custom made to fit over the x-brace on the convertible cars.
This is not a big issue for a qualified exhaust shop. The rear portion of the kit should work without modifications though.
Also, watch out for clearance of the headers with the power steering box and A/C too, if you have A/C. I do, and the Hooker Competition headers cleared the A/C box with not problem and were very close to the p.s. box, but cleared it. Overall the fit worked without modifications to the Headers, but a lot of people have had problems with various headers.
You can check out my website for more pictures, etc.
good luck,
mike

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. When we talk about A/C on a 1st gen, is there a difference in factory A/C vs Vintage Air as far as hedder clearance issues? My 68 does not have factory air but I want to add Vintage someday, probably after the hedders are on.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I am running Dynomax headers on my '68 (power steering, but no AC) and they fit wonderfully. There is plenty of PS box clearance. Check out my page for info.
www.geocities.com/boodlefoof

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've got a 67 RS Convert. I used Hooker Comps and the Flowmaster American Thunder system. Everything fit perfect except I had to take off the X-brace. Some otheres have done this too but used a spacer to reinstall the X-brace. To me, I think the brace will hang down too far with a space so I just left it off. I plan on using suframe connectors to make up for the loss of the brace. This was the best price and system out there, however I think the exhaust is a little loud for me.

·
Registered
925 Posts
sorry, but i just had to comment, the subject name just happens to fit in. Hedders is spelled Headers,no offense

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not crazy about removing the x brace. I'll probably have George Foreman bend some pipe. I'll check on the cost of the Flowmaster system. Meineke want 275.
Oh, I kinda like my spelling

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think Hedman spells it "hedders", and he was originally asking about Hedman too, so I'd say you're both right!

Just keep the "E's" out of Camaro and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Winch, one other thing to keep in mind. The flowmaster exhaust system is mandrel bent (best flow) whereas I'm betting the local Meineke doesn't have a mandrel tubing bender (expensive) to make your exhaust. What this means is the bends in a normal bender seriously restrict the exhaust at the bends. So if you have 2 1/2" pipes made the bends may reduce the flow to an equivalent of 2" to 2 1/4" system. Check out your stock exhaust and you'll see the bends and how it kinks/restricts the flow. My 2 cents.

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks JonT thats good to know but if they don't sell a mandrel-bent system for conv I'll have to remove the xbrace to use one right?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Winch, there's really no way around removing the x-brace if you want a 2.5 system. Unless you get a custom mandrel bent system, and now you're talking really big bucks. I think the consencise is to remove the X-brace and install subframe connectors, or a spacer to replace the X-brace

·
Registered
925 Posts
sorry, that was a stupid post of mine, i hate it when people post pointless stuff on my questions! who cares about the spelling

1 - 18 of 18 Posts