Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 years ago i bought a crappy chevelle ragtop, :cool: it was really rough but a ragtop just the same. my son was 5 at the time, and being a generous (but stupid) parent i told my young son he could have the car when he turned 16
. well, the car is now freakin' gorgeous and my young son is 13 and has not forgotten my (now obviously foolish)promise to him :( . soooo i am thinking about what to do so that i can have a new ride ready when the brat...oops i meant fine youg lad, gets my pride and joy. i am thinking about a newer ragtop like the 3rd gen iroc. but there is one thing that i have not been able to determine..(here's the dumb question)..do they have power tops? thanks all

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
give him the 3rdgen ragtop and keep that chevelle!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hi SS66rag, and welcome to the site!

I second Robert on this one.... give your kid the 3rd gen and keep the 'velle for yourself!

I don't think the 3rd gen had power tops, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in...

·
Retired
26,948 Posts
I recognize that car!! :D Have you shared your plight with any of your Chevelle buddys? ;) The 3rd gen ragtops I've seen have all had power tops but that doesn't mean they all do...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I also told my daughter the same thing. She is now 11 and also hasn't forgotten. However after looking at my insurance coverage she can't drive it until she is 25 years old. I broke the news to her, and she accepted it quite well. ( At 11 years old driving isn't a high priority.) Looks like I bought myself a few more years.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I worked on a few of the early "factory" American Sunroof conversions back-in-the-day and I don't remember a power top option. (think RPO was Z08? starting in '87 when chevy finally started a joint program with them in the L.A. (Van Nuys plant)area.) They were the GM convertible top installers for the F-body cars. (not the only ones - but the 'factory' ones)
There was a switch for the cover boot release that allowed the boot (a fiberglass cover) to be raised to lower or raise the top. But they were manual, like the Corvette version.
Maybe later in the product runs they offered a power one????
Will be interesting to see who has what out there.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,362 Posts
My Dad made me the same promise when I was 13 and we were working on a '57 Belair. Shortly after we finished it a guy offered him $700.00 and he took it (this was in '66). I haven't forgotten that to this day and it keeps me from making such promises to my 17-year-old son. I don't hold it against my Dad I just cant forget it. I'd say your best way out is to wait until he's 16 then let him pick out another car that he really likes, not your choice but his. Who knows he may pick out a Ricer or a Mustang, that would serve you right. :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
from a younger perspective, i say give him the car :D my dad helped me out a whole lot building and money wise with my car, best thing he could ever do for me. he better love you forever if he gets that car though. i told my dad i would get him a vette somewhere down the road in return

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
There is no way I would give my son a restored car like that at age 16, he would just drive it into a ditch or light pole and possibly kill himself. Your best solution is to just tell him he won't be able to drive it all the time, only on special occasions, like a date with a girl, or prom/homecoming. Tell him you will get him a different car that has an airbag, gets better gas mileage, and won't matter if the car gets totalled. A used Mini Cooper or a new Scion xB fits the bill very well for a 16 year old.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I got the same promise made to me with a 56 Chevy PU, and a 66 El Camino. Both were sold before I was 12. However my Dad did help me find a 67 RS through a friend and I worked my A$$ off during summers and whenever. We restored the car with my own money when the Classic Catalog was a 16 page leaflet. It was done by the time I was old enough to drive and I had one of the "coolest" first cars ever. Have owned one ever since.
Keep the Chevelle, if time and money allow, get him something the two of you can restore and he will have a greater appreciation for it. It worked for me. Thanks Pop. :cool:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Originally posted by Brian Lewis:
Tell him you will get him a different car that has an airbag, gets better gas mileage, and won't matter if the car gets totalled. A used Mini Cooper or a new Scion xB fits the bill very well for a 16 year old.
You'd send your son (a 16 year old teenager at that) to high school in this?. After his friends get through torturing him with laughter, he'll probably never speak to you again :D :D

Ya know.. there ARE laws against child abuse
:D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Do exactly as you said. Here you go son, here's the keys. Uh, where are you going? You can't drive that until it's insured. That'll be about two plus grand. Welcome to the hard knocks of life.

...and, he will certainly appreciate the car once his dollars are in it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Here's another idea . . . ask your son if he would rather help you restore a different car -- that way he could have it how he wants it AND brag to his friends that he did it. His elbow grease will add to his pride in ownership and I'll bet he'll respect it and take better care of the car.

Working with Pops on his car will make many good memories too - probably better than the car itself.

Just an idea . . .

·
Registered
523 Posts
You can be pretty secure in the fact that your boy will wad his first car into a ball-I wouldn't give him the Chevelle.My son and I spent 2 years getting his car ready.It wasn't anything special-a 78 Malibu.We swapped the v6 for a 305 with a 4-speed Saginaw trans,complete Monte Carlo bucket seat interior with console,custom dual exhaust and a tall cowl induction hood.
The car was pretty sharp and we had a great time building it together.About 3 weeks after he got his license the 'Bu cam home on the hook with the two ends of the front bumber touching each other and the motor slammed into the heater box.I was heartbroken. Thankfully,no one was hurt (3 buddies in the car with him at the time) and NO lawsuits!
Anyway,my point is maybe you would be better off building something else,not as valuable as the Chevelle.You'll have a good time doing it,he can build it the way he wants and you won't feel so bad if it gets bent up.
Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.