Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a DVD recorder? My wife teaches sixth grade science and would like to record some programs. What we need is easy one touch recording. Oh BTW were on Satellite. Thanks Pete

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I have Panasonic DVD/HD burner. Works great off cable or satellite to record programs. Its like tivo but has 80 or 160 gig hard drive so you can dub over your old VHS tapes to it, then edit then burn DVD of all your old family stuff. Tivo cant do that :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I bought a cheap DVD recorder and am happy with it. I wish I would have done some more research on compatibility with my other dvd player though. My nice 5 disc DVD player that I payed a decent amount for will not play the - DVD, and of course as luck would have it the recorder will only record the - type and not the + type. Its not a problem with the recorder just sometimes a hassle to have to watch it on the same TV as the recorder is hooked up to.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
I just picked up a Samsung dvd-r/rw that seems to be a real nice progressive scan unit that up-converts standard dvd 480p to high def 720p and 1080i. It has hdmi and optical connection connections. Model # DVD-135 I believe...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dennis and Craig- Ok so I hook this up via s video from my direct tv box to the recorder then use the hdmi from recorder to my TV and if a program is on my tv all I need to do is press record? It really needs to be that simple for my wife. I thought I'd gotten that with an RCA I bought at Wal-Mart but it's somewhat complicated and locks up so I need to return it. TIA Pete

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Pete,
Ive only had mine a few months and I actually havent used it yet to record stuff from TV to DVD. I have used it to convert over old VHS tapes to DVD. And of course use it for DVD player. I havent had the need to record stuff off of TV yet as i have DVR Recorder and store everything there. But i have been meaning to get it hooked up to be able to record from TV. As far as the correct way to hook it up... i think youre right. Wait to see what Dennis says.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Hdmi is output from the dvd to the TV. Run component (RGB) or S-video from your satilite box to the DVD player and verify you can watch TV through the DVD box.

From there it's one touch and you are recording... The confusing part is making sure the dvd recorder is set to the correct input before pushing the record button, there are I think 4 inputs it can be on tuner (for coax from cable) av1, av2 etc...

I'm just starting to play with mine too but it all seems real simple so far. If I get the chance to record something tonight I just picked up some dvd's to record on...

Here's the online owners manual...
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200604/20060412105002312_01049A-R135-XAA-ENG-BM.pdf

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
You might call your sat provider and ask them about a free upgrade to a DVR. I have Dish and recently upgraded to HD with a 200 hour DVR dual tuner.
I have the same Dish HD DVR and it is great. But at the same time really want to transfer some of the movies and stuff ive recorded over to DVD. You guys have inspired me..going to get it hooked up tomorrow.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I bought a cheap DVD recorder and am happy with it. I wish I would have done some more research on compatibility with my other dvd player though. My nice 5 disc DVD player that I payed a decent amount for will not play the - DVD, and of course as luck would have it the recorder will only record the - type and not the + type. Its not a problem with the recorder just sometimes a hassle to have to watch it on the same TV as the recorder is hooked up to.

Did you 'Finalize' the DVD after you burned it? If you dont run through the finalize step that basically locks the DVD when your done recording and editing it wont play in any other machine.Finalize it and it should play on most machines.
I was looking at spending a bundle to buy a DVD burner with a hard drive to use to dump all my home movies to DVD.I ended up buying a refurbished Magnavox from Big Lots for about $70 (not a hard drive model) and its been great so far.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Run component (RGB) or S-video from your satellite box to the DVD player and verify you can watch TV through the DVD box.
Hey Pete - first let me correct myself the "component" I mentioned is also only output from the dvd box. :clonk:

The Samsung one touch recording is very easy but now I'm scratching my head. I either record from AV1 (s-video and L/R sound from cable box) the equivalent to your satellite box or from a cable splitter feeding the coax input which I don't think you can do. Quality was exactly like the feed but the resolution is less than the 1080i from the hdmi connections (didn't fill my screen).

My TV has 2 hdmi inputs and my dvd recorder as well as my cable box have hdmi outputs. Since the TV can host these I saved money on my surround sound receiver and didn't get hdmi in it thinking I wouldn't use it as a switch for my A/V. Using the TV with each device feeding it independently makes it easy for the wife to just turn on the cable box and TV with the cable controler (one button) and go.

Anyway, the one touch recording is very easy and unlike a VCR your wife will have to finalize any DVD recording (as mentioned) before taking it to school and playing it for the kids. Your headache will be connecting from the satellite box so the wife doesn't need you to switch the recorder to the right input so she can push the one button record. Using tivo or dv-recorder cable box (same available for satellite?) is a good idea. Then for her class record a dvd from it.

Oh, be sure to get the right DVD's I started out with a stack of DVD+RW's and my unit can only record on -RW and -R's :clonk:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did you 'Finalize' the DVD after you burned it? If you dont run through the finalize step that basically locks the DVD when your done recording and editing it wont play in any other machine.Finalize it and it should play on most machines.
Yes I tried it with a finalized disc. My 5 disc changer just only supports one type and not the other. I bought my changer about 7 years ago before recorders were mainstream so it does not suprise me that the technologies would have changed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts