Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1967 Camaro roller with rebuilt engine late 2018. The original 350 ci engine was rebuilt with stock 295 hp components and bored .020 over by the previous owner and had not been started when I bought the car. Because I was starting a frame off restoration of this RS/SS Camaro and would not be firing the engine for about 2 years,I thought it would be a good idea to pull plugs and squirt some Marvel Mystery oil in cylinders and spin over by breaker bar on crank. When I attempted to turn over by hand one of the pistons was hitting a valve and would not allow the crank to rotate. I decided to seek professional help and took the engine to a local speed shop which also has a chasis dyno. The speed shop quickly diagnosed the problem as faulty valve adjustment corrected the mistake and did a leak down test on all eight cylinders. Two of the cylinders failed the leak down test, so I asked them to have heads reground by a reputable machine shop. While the heads were off I asked the shop to install the after market cam I prefered for just a little more performance. Tha Lunatti Voodoo cam I selected is hydraulic lift flat tappet cam very similar to Competition Cams 268h grind. I was told that the cam was "degreed" when installed then the heads installed with my Edelbrock Torquer manifold. One aspect of my build was to install a throttle body EFI system on this engine. I had purchased a Holley Stealth Terminator system and asked the speed shop to start up and break in my motor with a Holley carb, then installing the throttle body and performance tuning system. To say performance numbers were disappointing is an understatement. The first pull with Holley 311ftlb torque 288hp, EFI pull changed timing and got similar results. When I got engine back I pulled the plugs and seven of them looked too lean and the #4 looked fuel fouled. The speed shop explained this all away with BS.

Fast forward to today when I started up the engine (finally) in the car there was an audible miss, and the #4 has zero compression. I pulled the valve cover and one of the rockers was so tight that the valve spring was compressed through out the four cycles of engine. When I confront the speed shop about poor work and worthless dyno numbers I was told to pound sand. Dont want to go down this road but I am thinking of legal action. Any advice? I can give more numbers if helpful, EGT, air fuel ratio etc.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, that certainly sucks. I agree that legal action won't help.

Has anything been damaged in the engine? If not, I think I'd just relash the valves and try to fix the jetting. I don't think your current air/fuel numbers are going to be helpful since you have one cylinder not firing. If the O2 sensor is on the side of the bad cylinder, the reading will be off.

A 295hp 350 probably doesn't have great heads, so they will limit power. I don't think your Torquer manifold is a good match either. A single plane is going to do better in the higher HP, higher RPM range with a more aggressive cam. You'd be better served by a dual plane and the RPM Air Gap seems to be the standard others are measured against.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That stinks, but legal action is going to cost you more money, time, energy, and effort than it's worth. I doubt you would win, and even if you did, you will pay more for legal fees, than you would get from the settlement. Your best bet is to file a claim with the BBB, and leave some negative reviews on social media (Yelp, FB, fill-in-the-blank's list, etc). Those are free and they have added pressure to address your issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
649 Posts
So did you correct the valve adjustment?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
valve adjustment was complete in 10 min. Firing on all cylinders, but I wanted to have dyno results to add to build docs. Oh well another lesson from the school of hard knocks.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well at least that was an easy fix. Just put it behind you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts