Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dyno tested my mildly warmed over 350 today. Bored 20 thousands, 1.94 Fuelie heads, Edelbrock Torker, Lunati Voodoo cam. Break in and one pull were performed with the Holley 750. Swapped out the carb for Holley EFI and did one more test. The torque curve was quite flat from 3000 to 5200 RPM. The good news is that Torque averaged 310 lbft, the horsepower was a bit of a disappointment, peaking at 290 HP at 5200. I will be happy to share more of the technical information if anyone is interested pm me. If anyone has ideas on how to squeeze a bit more out of this mild mouse your input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
If you've fiddled with timing and tuning the EFI already
The easiest thing to try after that would be an Edelbrock RPM intake, that Torker might not be the best for your cam,heads or rpm range.
Or try a spacer , 4 hole, open, or tapered...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
What cam specifically? What compression ratio? What is the timing set at? What were the numbers on the carb vs. EFI.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pertronix conversion to my stock GM distributor Timing was 9 initial total 32
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Lunatti PN 10120702
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .468/.489
LSA/ICL: 112/108

RPM Torque HP

Holley 750 cfm carburetor 4500 311 270
5200 290 289

Stealth Terminator 4600 315 275
5500 285 292

Values are maximum for Torque and HP. Torque curve very flat average of 300 lb-ft from 3000 to 5200. EFI started easier than 750 carb, which I really liked

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
My buddy's 63 Nova 350cu in, fuelie heads, 750 dbl pump,RPM intake comp cams 280 magnum, it runs real good. 295 tire on the back with 3:50 gears and it lights them up fairly easy.

those heads might still work with a bit more cam, maybe go a slightly bigger to get where you want.

You need more than one pull to tune that EFI or even the Holley. we probably did 10 pulls over 4 hours to tune my Terminator EFI with lots of lap top work when I had it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good feedback, thanks for the reply. We did two pulls with the 750, changed the timing from initial of 7 to 30 of advance, then one with the 9 and 32. Basically no significant change so I left it at 9 and 32. What were you manipulating during the tuning of your Terminator system that provided the greatest improvement?

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Good feedback, thanks for the reply. We did two pulls with the 750, changed the timing from initial of 7 to 30 of advance, then one with the 9 and 32. Basically no significant change so I left it at 9 and 32. What were you manipulating during the tuning of your Terminator system that provided the greatest improvement?
We spent the most time on the fuel curve. We then drove around while my tuner had the laptop hooked up making adjustments.

you can fiddle with those things endlessly, acceleration enrichment at different loads,RPM and temperatures... same with timing curve,
it goes on and on if your really into it.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Just want to make sure I understand. You only ran it with 32 degrees of total timing? If so, I would put it back on the chassis dyno and increase it 2 degrees at a time until the power drops. I'll bet it runs best with around 36 degrees total timing.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
wait was this an engine dyno or a chassis dyno...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engine dyno. My engine tuner advised 34 should be max. My goal is to build more of a road (SCCA) type car, as opposed to a quarter miler. I am optimistic with the steady torque and the 3.55 gears with 4 speed will be good enough.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
For an engine that we would expect to make more than 350 HP I suggest you look hard at what's going on and maybe find another engine builder and tuner. SBC love timing I've never seen one that doesn't like up to 36 total. A 750 CFM carb is IMO too big for a 350. I'd stay in the 650 range with Edelrock RPM intake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wonder how many of those expected 350 HP motors really put out 350 horse power. IMO you have to go to a 2.02 intake valve and have much higher compression than my motor has to make that kind of power. Unless you are running aftermarket heads the high HP sbc were 11:1 or there about.
Yes the 750 was too much carb, but, this is a new motor and my end goal was to install and debug the Stealth system. I wanted to start with a simple system get the motor up and running so I could eliminate as many variables as possible prior to switching to EFI the 750 was a known quantity for engine builder so we used it for start up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is this an original Torker manifold or a Torker II? Either-way, they aren't really the best for your cam. Your cam has an RPM range of 1400-5800 and you have a manifold (torker II) with an rpm range of 2500-6500, with too much carb (like what was said above). An Edlebrock Performer or Weiand Warrior with an idle-5500/5800 intake with an Edlebrock650 AFB would be better suited for your engine.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
my 406 wanted 38* of timing. As mentioned, small block chevys need timing. Especially with older heads.

If you want to make power, the first thing I'd recommend is getting a good aftermarket aluminum head. I am partial to AFR but there are tons of choices out there. Those fuelie heads were fine back in the day but that is now 50 year old technology. You upgraded to EFI so why run it with 50 year old heads?

What is your HP goal and what is your budget?

Reactions: fastercar68

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My primary goal for the EFI system was ease of starting/warm up. I do not have a HP number in mind, but, want to keep my vintage heads. I will experiment with adding some additional timing once I get the car on the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts