Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once my motor is complete I want to take it to be dyno tuned.

A local shop (Express Auto in Frederickberg, Va) charges $250 to do this however I don't know if they are good at this.

What is the going price for doing a good dyno tune?

What things should I ask and/or be careful of when I look for a place to do it?

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Dynos are only as good as the operator....and the operators knowledge of tuning.
Ask around the local racing/hot rod community see what sort of rep, they have and who is the person on the dyno.
Tuning can involve everything from dizzy cureves thru to jetting and power valves..so find out what they do tune.
If the tuning is way off, it can get very expensive...so it pays to get close, if not on the button...with road tuning over a few weeks of trial and error changing jets, dizzy springs etc....
Things like power valves , sec butterfly stops, and jets can be set using the carb manuals...there are some very good holly and aftermarket books that cover this...just follow the instructions.
Also use of the "search" button above
A timing light/tach and vaccuum gaugeis worth buying and esentual for this.

Keep a witten logs of changes only do 1 change at a time
By the time u get to the dyno, u will have a good understanding of what they are doing/saying, if they are for real or full of BS.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
$250 is pretty cheap.
Warm it up - water & oil, watch both at all times.
set timing (mid 30s) and jetting (close to stock) ball park and start makin pulls to seat the rings 3-4 will do. Then start playing with timing then jetting, and try any other things that you want - spacers, intakes, cams, carbs...
Dyno operator should be able to tell you which way you wanna go on the jetting from EGTs and BSFC #s.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
$250 flat is very cheap indeed. When I took mine in, they charged hourly at over a hundred per.

Just don't forget the "tuning" part. Strapping her down and doing a couple pulls is fun. but it only shows where you are, it get get you where you could be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts