Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking on buying a dz LA 302 with a vo210dz stamp and vin# L526xxx that looks legit.i then noticed on ebay that there was a LA dz motor with a v0212dz stamp and a L52499x vin number.why would the later assembled motor have a earlier vin # assuming that both these motors are the real thing in which they seem to be?hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Excellent question!

I have a small db of '69 Z/28 VINs and their corresponding engine dates; what you have observed is actually normal at both plants. I asked John Z and he stated there was no first-in first out requirement for drivetrain components. A shipment of DZ engines could be needed immediately and be diverted directly to an assembly line or if not needed on the line be placed in a storage area.

DZ engine date/VIN data should not be applied to other models. Z/28s were hot sellers; dealers wanted plenty in stock and could never get enough. Since engine production was limited to around 80/day there wasn't much queue at the plants; they were typically installed as quickly as they arrived. I have seen paperwork for a '69 Z/28 that was delivered 1 week after the engine was built. DZ dates flow with production; there are anomalies around hoildays and shutdowns.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a V02I0DZ with L5243XX, built 02C . There are others on this site with similar dates. As stated, they were moving them quickly in February.

It would be best to post pics of the stamps to get feedback. I did and am glad because it turned out to be a restamp.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
The assembly line workers did not necessarily take the "oldest" engine available when droping one in a car. It is possible that some of the engines that were in the far back part of the area where the assembly plant stored engines had a "shelf life" that was longer than others. Just in time inventory had not been implemented in those days and it was more important to ensure that assembly plants would not run out of engines rather than have to stop the assembly line because they ran out of a specific engine. As stated here, many Z/28's were built in the January/February time frame to get ready for the spring sales push.

There had to be stock piling of engines going on or a change in the type of engine the engine plants were building in a given month if Camaros models were not evenly assembled which they were not. For example, we also know that Pace Cars were mostly built in March and April and COPO's were mostly built in the Spring time period. This would have an effect on engine supply.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Tonawanda and Flint V-8 each made around 5500 engines per day (one every twelve seconds).

·
Registered
418 Posts
I see what your saying. the vin and engine placement code do not line up as far as the two cars go. Forge date is totaly different from suffix code which was put on when the engine hit the frame. From the one post above your engine and vin are relativly the same but the one on ebay was probably a restamp. I do believe I am right in saying the suffix code date went on when the engine was placed into the car? The forge date maybe way off but the suffix should be in line with all others built. The one your looking at seems corect the one on ebay does not

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Joe,
No, you are incorrect.
The engine plant stamped the suffix code.
Assembly plant stamped the VIN.
Blocks were cast, not forged. Very different processes.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts