Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost this site shortly after signing up, glad I finally found it again. Seems like alot of knowlegable people here.

I'd like your opinions on this vin pad and ask for ways to clean it up some. I don't want to mess up the broach marks anymore than time seems to have already done.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Looks good to me. Vin is stamped down on the side of the block by the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Did you know that from the stamping shown?
By the stamping and the timeframe of your block.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'd like your opinions on this vin pad and ask for ways to clean it up some.
The stamping looks great "as is" to me. Has the engine ever been apart?
Doug

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I'd like your opinions on this vin pad and ask for ways to clean it up some. I don't want to mess up the broach marks anymore than time seems to have already done.Thanks guys
Don't use anything abrasive on it - just oil it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stamping looks great "as is" to me. Has the engine ever been apart?
Doug
Other than one of the PO's replacing the heads with a set of 492's and the intake being removed for cleaning the motor hasn't been apart.:hurray:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a DZ motor as well with the vin stamped by the filter. My problem is I can barely read it, and I mean barely. I can't make out all the numbers, just enought ot know it's correct enough for me. Anyone have any ideas how to make the numbers more visible? I've tried paint and chalk but all they seem to do is smudge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a DZ motor as well with the vin stamped by the filter. My problem is I can barely read it, and I mean barely. I can't make out all the numbers, just enought ot know it's correct enough for me. Anyone have any ideas how to make the numbers more visible? I've tried paint and chalk but all they seem to do is smudge.

Alexander,

1st it's much easier with the motor out of the car.

I used a degreaser and a nylon pad to clean the area, then I had to use very bright lights just to see it with the naked eye.

I was able to make the numbers out only after taking photos.

Goodluck,
Rick

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The best way I've found to do this is take a little dark grease on your finger and rub it across the numbers. Work it until they show.
Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts