Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something stretched on my emergency brake cables so they no longer pull tight and the only thing that I can figure is the crimped on threaded portion of the front cable has slipped. Everything else looks like it should. Does this look extended to you?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
It looks like your cable might have snapped at the E-brake assembly. Also, check the end of the cable at the bracket that holds the cable to the assembly to make sure it didn't slip through the hole somehow. There is suppose to be a clip holding the cable and keeping it in place. The clip might have broken and fallen off.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Camaro Dave. The cable is still attached properly at the E-brake assembly and the little clip is in place. The spring shown in the photo still has the proper tension on it so things are okay from it to the foot pedal.
I measure just about 4" from the ball crimped at the spring to the threaded rod crimped to the cable. Could someone check to see if you measure the same? If it's not there then maybe a cable to one of the rear brakes has come apart inside the sheath.
If I rule this out then I'll put the car back on jackstands and check out the rest of the cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well my brand new cable from CI had a problem too. The anchor point where the cable goes through the floorboard slipped. That part of the cable is crimped to the plastic housing. Haven't called CI yet to see if they will be cool about exchanging for a new one.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the measurements mark X22. Mine measures the same, so I can rule that out.

I think you nailed it 1stgen CR. Does yours look like this photo? Mine is also a reproduction unit from C/I and even though I recently installed it the cable was purchased more than year ago. Maybe together we can contact them and convince them that there was a bad batch.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thank you for the measurements mark X22. Mine measures the same, so I can rule that out.

I think you nailed it 1stgen CR. Does yours look like this photo? Mine is also a reproduction unit from C/I and even though I recently installed it the cable was purchased more than year ago. Maybe together we can contact them and convince them that there was a bad batch.

Thanks guys!
yup that looks like mine does. The cable shouldn't be able to push through that far. I just installed mine about 2 months ago too.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I learned today that GM no longer carries these cables. Also Classic Industries told me that since I bought it more than a year ago they would not replace it. I asked that they at least document the complaint.
I think I will buy the nicer one from Rick's First Gen.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys I fixed this today and my cost was $0.32. I thought that a crimped connection had come apart but when I took a good look I saw that their cheap washer had just bent and pressed beyond the flanged areas of the assembly.
At our local True Value hardware store, which has a nice selection of fasteners, I spent $0.32 for a precision washer with a .520 ID and .875 OD. I got the 14 gauge washer that is about .068 thick compared to theirs which is only about .040 think. Anyway, you slide this over the end of the assembly and push the rest of the parts back into place. I put it back in the car and the parking brakes work good once again.
Below I am posting three photos. The first has their washer, which I easily cut with side-cutting pliers to remove it, and my purchased washer. The second is the new washer in place, and the third is the unit reassembled.
I hope what I have learned helps someone else out there.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Finally went down to CI yesterday and got them to exchange my cable. You were right on the money with the washer being the problem. I'm taking my new cable to the hardware store now to replace the washer as a preventative measure before installing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.