Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I have posted quite a bit on here about putting the factory style rubber back on my Z. Well, Saturday I put 4 new E70/15 Goodyear Speedway GT's on the car.
After reading quite a few negative comments saying they drive horrible etc....etc.....69 Z28 tires E70/15 Goodyear's or Firestone's? (
1 2 3)
I am here to tell you that they are 100% fine. Sure it rides a little rougher than the radials. But the car drives great with these tires. I am still scratching my head about the negative comments. The car drives nice and straight and sits up the way it should. The only complaint I have is that I did not do this sooner.
I am not trying to bash the ones that are not in favor of driving on these. I am just trying to set some folks straight that are on the fence about these style tires like I was. But anyway, I hope this helps. I am still smiling ear to ear....:yes:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/wac_Z28/69Z284-1-07NewTires004.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/wac_Z28/69Z284-1-07NewTires030.jpg

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
..and they look great.:thumbsup:
I drove with Firestone F60-15 on the front and M/T L60-15 on the rear for years and was surprised at how well the car steered and handled in general. Wet traction from the M/T indy Profile SS was quite awesome considering.. (have a 520rwhp bbc)
I'm not fooling myself and saying the handling is as good as radials, but not at all scary like some have said.

What you won't like about them though is tire wear. Stiff sidewalls to keep the tread planted was the logic back then. It kinda worked but wore the tread fast. Radials really are a big improvement in wear, rolling resistance and cornering, but we know that!
Good straight line traction (well, not so much the compound you have) and high speed stability are good charateristics of the bias design..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
I also forgot to mention how much easier it is now to turn the steering wheel at low speeds like backing out of the driveway. This car does not have power steering. So when running the more aggressive tread pattern and wider radials it made turning the wheel a work out before.

·
Registered
355 Posts
wow...looks awesome!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice.
I agree 100% and enjoy the look of my Bia's shoes on my 68.
That car looks just right with the GT's
Good job

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I think they look great. The sharp edge of the tire compared to the round radial look is super.

If those are poly glass GT tires , be careful when driving in the rain. I wrecked my 65 Impala Super Sport back in 1970 with them. I hit a patch of oil while turning a sharp curve just as it started to rain. I think the new ones are of a different compound.

Kev

·
Registered
717 Posts
I came across your thread and was wondering if your Goodyear tires are more correct then the Goodyear polyglas F70x15's

I am seriously looking into getting some for my car and doing research. I have been checking out the Firestone wide oval F70x15's and the Goodyear F70x15's at classic industries. They also sell the ones you have although they are $50 more each. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i know!!! they drive great!!!!!

on a 1968 z i know both the goodyear gt and firestone sport car 200 are correct..

·
Registered
211 Posts
People used bias ply tires for many years and didn't have ill driving vehicles. I drove on bias tires for some time and never had a problem. I think most people try to compare them with radials. Bias are not and do not perform as well as radials. Like W.A.C. said they ride rougher than radials. If bias were so poor why are there still old cars to restore. They should be in scrap yards do to all of the accidents. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
W.A.C., you are baffled about the negative comments about original bias ply tires just as I am baffled about negative comments about stock 302 engines for street cars. I am here to say that with the correct timing, jetting, M20, 3.73s and headers mine runs just fine at 40 mph (2000 rpm)in 4th down the road. Sure it doesn't smoke the tires when you punch it at this speed, but so what?

Now you have me thinking about changing tires.:hurray:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I came across your thread and was wondering if your Goodyear tires are more correct then the Goodyear polyglas F70x15's

I am seriously looking into getting some for my car and doing research. I have been checking out the Firestone wide oval F70x15's and the Goodyear F70x15's at classic industries. They also sell the ones you have although they are $50 more each. Any advice?
1969 Z/28s and Camaros equipped with COPO 9737 used E70 x 15 tires; Good Year WTGT or Firestone Sport Car 200. There were no options, space saver spare was not available.

·
Registered
464 Posts
W.A.C. your car looks great, i have bias on my cars and the ride is also fine. not to mention the look is a MUST have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts