Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 coupe built first week of September 1968. I'm trying to replace the rear wiring harness so after I ordered one I decided to take the old one out. After consulting my assembly manual and searching on this forum I read that in 69 GM made the rear harness connection over the drivers side rear wheel. BUT when I looked there I discovered no connectors... I then followed it back towards the front removing rear seat, and sail panel trim- still no connectors... Could I have a 69 that has the 68 harness? In that case can I just splice the new connector in? Any advice or info. will be greatly appreciated.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Phil I don't know what connector you were expecting but the intermediate harness runs out the threshold and over the rear drivers wheel well and then has a connection for Coupe based trunk deck lid lighting, Convertible intermediate did not have the connection for deck lid on the wheel well but at the license plate connection by the lock.

Both intermediate harnesses connect under the dash at the drivers kick panel.

What type of replacement harness did you buy by brand and application? American Autowire makes several lines including Factory Fit for OEM restorations and replacement and the Classic update line for resto-mods.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I'm understanding you both there is no connection for the entire rear harness above drivers side rear wheel... the connection for the harness is at fuse box- (Is that what you are saying ProStreet?) only additional connections are for dome light in coupe. Right?
So I have to take apart the drivers side threshold and kick panel to connect rear harness to under dash fuse box...
Thanks for the info. and let me know if I still have it wrong.:thumbsup:

·
14,093 Posts
So if I'm understanding you both there is no connection for the entire rear harness above drivers side rear wheel... the connection for the harness is at fuse box- (Is that what you are saying ProStreet?) only additional connections are for dome light in coupe. Right?
So I have to take apart the drivers side threshold and kick panel to connect rear harness to under dash fuse box...
Thanks for the info. and let me know if I still have it wrong.:thumbsup:
Correct except it does not connect directly to the fusebox it connects to the dash harness just above the E-brake. The connector slips into a bracket welded to the dash. If replacng an old one just follow the trail.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are great- Thanks to all for the great info. looking forward to asking more "dumb" questions....:yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts