Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you guys over here can help me out. I'm a chevelle guy but have the camaro bug, found what appears to be a good deal?! Rust free ca car built in Los Angeles, number matching 396 375hp car, (no aluminum heads), beautiful car! 25000$ Here's the catch the trim tag has NO option codes. It's an rs ss but doesn't say it anywhere! He says that early 69 cars from this particular plant had no codes on the trim tag? The car was built first week of November 1968. Any truth to this? Someone help! Also, could this car be a factory big block but a plain janer with the rs ss package added? What's up with no codes?
Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Before spending $25K on the car I would drop the gas tank and look for the broadcast sheet. Most LA built cars will have them there. No option codes on LA cars as opposed to the Norwood built Camaro, so you need factory paperwork to be certain.

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Not many folks are gonna let you drop the tank from their car, sale or no sale!! The '68 and '69 camaros are the hardest to validate without paper but with lots of research you can get a warm feeling or not! As with the chevelle partial vin on the block should match the car and dates need to be correct. The cowl will tell you color of car and type of interior as well as the date code. There are many things that should be just so; hood springs, fuel lines, heater core and exhaust hangers to name a few. Post the VIN and cowl info in the Tag Team section and that will start the ball rolling for you. then do some research. Al has some info here, www.camaros.net/years/index.shtml and spend some time at www.camaros.org and you'll get to know what makes the car you're after.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
89 Posts
The chances of finding a broadcast sheet on the exterior of the car is almost 0%, particularly after 30 years. So...do as much homework as you can and the sugestion of looking for those little things like hood springs may assist you. You should really purchase as book on the 68 camaro and that will help give you alot of info. Hope it's what your looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I do not have the vin number didn't even think of getting it, I'll call him in the morning. What area should I be looking at in the camaro section you posted?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you could post the Trim tag numbers also...along with the VIN...it would be apprecitated!

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 2/24/01)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Even if the car no longer has the build sheet I don't think that is a bad price for a nice RS SS L78 with the correct stuff on it.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's alot of $$$$$ for something that may be a clone. Try to back track on the ownership and ask around town about that car many times people know of it history. My opinion has always been that if your willing to dish out that kind of money find one that real and has documentation.... Good Luck !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the trim tag info:
ST 69 124379 LOS 165220 BDY

TR713 71 E PNT

11A F651

I've figured out everything but the F651, what is that?
Thanks guys,
Dave

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I answered your post under Tag team....
could you post the VIN in that thread?
Thanks!

Hey Dino, you'd be amazed how many LA cars still have the buildsheets on top of the tank. They are usually in fairly good condition, also....

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 03-04-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts