Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Seller claims everything is legal apparently because he had a title and plates issued yesterday!! (i.e. Date issued, owner name and address are all visible on photos).

Dang, that's a nappy looking VIN tag:

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I wonder if its against the law to register a vehicle when there is no vehicle at all ? Many years ago, we had some body shop people who whould buy wrecked vehicles and register them in Rhode Island. Wait a few months then claim the cars stolen and it would be recovered wrecked ! Now most states have the insurance companies do a inspection within 14 days of putting insurance. Does California have such a law? Do they, the insurance companies inspect after insurance is put on?

Kev

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Seller claims everything is legal apparently because he had a title and plates issued yesterday!! (i.e. Date issued, owner name and address are all visible on photos).

Dang, that's a nappy looking VIN tag:

Tsk, Tsk. be careful with that "nappy" word.

But in relation tothe tag, this is not what I call a "born again" car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In California...if the car was off the DMV computer...which it probably was with such a rotten rusty vin tag...you need to get a vin number verification first before you can get a title. That is done by the DMV, a peace officer, or a private DMV service. The first two would NEVER issue a verification for just a tag. If a private DMV service issued a vin number verification form for just a vin tag...they need to lose their license. I have taken nearly complete CARS to the DMV and they wont even do a vin verification on a car without a motor but complete otherwise! I took a '50 Olds that was complete to the DMV..and because the fenders were off (they were in the tow car) they wouldnt do that one either! Incidentally I believe it is a Federal offense to tamper with a vin tag....ESPECIALLY with this intent!

·
Registered
1969 Camaro
268 Posts
California sounds way too strict, but Oregon is a little too loose.
Here you take any clear title ,that is signed off, and get it titled,
without ever seeing a car. But it could have been 40 years without tags,
and it's almost impossible to get a title for a car that has been dumped for trash, or in bushes for 40 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
California is really not that strict....its just that a vin number verification is needed when the car is off the computer or if it is from out of state. A car falls off the computer here after about 5-6 years of not being registered. Once it is off the computer they dont make you pay any back fees or anything so that is pretty cool. One of the boxes that is filled out on the verification form is if the vin appears tampered with and what kind of rivets are holding it in place. I think its a good thing! I have seen cars with these kind of problems...and avoid them like the plague. It is very easy to get a title in California..it just has to be a legit car is all. If in Oregon you can get a title without them having seen the car it seems like it would be easy to phony up a car there. As far as putting that rusty piece of crap vin tag on a stolen car it still wouldnt coincide with the hidden vin numbers...luckily the one under the cowl vent panel is visible with the cowl panel on...unless that has been tampered with. Crooked guys think theyre smart but they mess up on something or another...

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
WOW!!

This is BS!! A VIN plate, a cowl tag and a title with no car? If that is not illegal I don't know what is. How does this [email protected] even get listed on e-bay?

I can see it 18 months from now. All original matching #'s, rare 1968 Z28, one of a kind, it flies, it swims, it talks, it cooks food for you, it puts the toilet seat down after it uses the bathroom, 0 emmisions hybrid car, owned by the First President of the Planet Pluto documented. Used by the first lady of Pluto. Ladies & Gentlemen since Pluto is being kicked out of our solar system it makes it even more rare as now Pluto will become infamous. Come see it at the world's finest auto auction for $ 3.1 million dollars with a reserve of only $2.9 million. Bid Now!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Guys, I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but the tags were current... even though he didn't have the car they belonged to. That means this guy paid the registration each year, even though he no longer had the actual car.

If he were to sell the "car" (i.e. tags), as long as it wasn't non-op and the tags were current, all the new "owner" would have to do is transfer the title and pay sales tax based on the purchase price, and he would get a current title in his name. Then he could transfer the plates and tags to an unregistered or stolen car and in the eyes of the California DMV it would be legit. (Until someone bothered to check the hidden VIN.)

Illegal? You betcha. However I'm sure this probably happens a great deal.

Insurance would be a different story. My carrier wanted to see one of my 67 Camaros when I tried to insure it. However the one I purchased two years prior, they accepted an email with high res photos attached.

BTW - I like the "Phantom" lable he had on the manila folder. Obviously he'd been planning this for quite some time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts