Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the email I got today...What do you guys think?
Subject: FPA NOTICE: Suspicious Activity -Section 9

Your bank has contacted us regarding some attempts of charges from your credit card via the eBay system. We have reasons to believe that you changed your registration information or that someone else has unauthorized access to your eBay account Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized listings placed on your account, we will require a second confirmation of your identity with us in order to allow us to investigate this matter further. Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your eBay registration. If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of eBay policy to represent oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.
Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

To confirm your identity with us click here:
https://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?OneTimePayment&ssPageName=h:h:sin:US

After responding to the message, we ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated. Emailing us before that time will result in delays. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you for your cooperation as we review this matter.

Respectfully,
Trust and Safety Department
eBay Inc.
http://www.ebay.com/

I'll try to call my bank tomorrow and see if they tryed to contact eBay
But I dont think they will give me that info over the phone my have to get out of work early and go there.

Any help with this would be great :)

Thanks
Garry

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Scam! If your bank had a problem, they would have contacted you first. Just ignore it and move on. I have gotten at least 10 of those and just delete them.

When you click the sign in, you give the scammer your ebay ID and password.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
No doubt it's a scam, they come up with a new one every week.

The easiest way to spot a scam is that they do not address you by your name. Both e-bay and Paypal will address you by your name.

These scam artist don't have access to your name but, it is fairly easy to get your e-mail address.

I always report them as mentioned above, just so they can shut down the fake site, even though a new one will pop up in a matter of minutes. any hardship you can make on these losers is worth doing.

As long as you didn't follow the link and give up any personal info (ie... Social Security number, bank info, credit card info) you should be fine. they want people to over react (panic) and before they think give up info they (the crooks) can use to steal from you.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
They are getting better at this, that one was almost grammatically correct. In years past they have sent nearly illiterate emails that were easily recognized as scams. I commend them for their efforts.

·
Retired
26,596 Posts
The key, no matter how professional and gramatically correct the letter, ebay and paypal will never provide you a link. They will ask you to login to your account in the normal way you always do.

This one is good too, asking you to wait 72 hrs before further follow-up... :clonk:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.
There where a couple of things that got me very nerves about this letter.
I was selling items on eBay that ended the same day as the email.
And the way it’s all linked to eBay’s site it self.

Something that made me think it was a scam was them saying that my bank had contacted them about my account. Now I don’t know anyway to talk with someone at eBay. Believe me I tried when I got ripped off by a seller a few years ago.

Anyway all your input helped me sleep a little better last night. I thought I’d be wake all night thinking about someone taking all my money. Not that there’s much to take. :sad:

Thanks
Garry :beers:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sent it to eBay and just got this back....

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.

Emails such as this, commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished"
messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or
financial information from the recipients.

The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this email
to the appropriate authorities.

In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to submit
information such as your credit card number or your email password. If
you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay, open a new
Web browser, type www.ebay.com into your browser address field, and
click on the "site map" link located at the top the page to access the
eBay page you need.

If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay,
please forward it immediately to [email protected]. Do not respond to it or
click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or
change the email in any way when you forward it to us.

If you have already entered sensitive financial information or your
password into a Web site based on a request from a spoofed email, you
should take immediate action to protect your identity and all of your
online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page with valuable
information regarding the steps you should take to protect yourself.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html

To review eBay's new tutorial about Spoof Emails, please see the
following Web page:

http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

To help you better protect yourself from fake eBay and PayPal Web sites,
we have developed a feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account Guard."
Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay or PayPal
Web site or a known spoof (or "phishing") site, buttons to report fake
eBay Web sites, and a password notification feature that warns you when
you may be entering your eBay password on an unverified site.

To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard go to
www.ebay.com, click on "Downloads" at the bottom of the page, and then
click on the "eBay Toolbar" link.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
Your efforts help keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,

Ande
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I got a couple of them and forwarded them to e-bay, but never heard back from e-bay. I knew they were a scam cause I knew for a fact that there was no problems with my bank account cause I hadnt sold anything for awhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts