Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback on ECM locations and their associated pros and cons. I really don't want to put it in the car as space is really tight and if I ever had to get to it again I would dread the work necessary to access it. I am not a minimalist when it comes to the engine compartment as long as things are neat.

I think my harness is long enough to reach the fender location running behind the fender with the AC hoses but I like the firewall location as well. Both have enough room to also mount the four relays my harness has so what does the team think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,691 Posts
I have a buddy that builds a few first gens a year. All resto mods. He bolts them to the inside passenger toe board . Then makes a cover for it that unbolts. The floor looks original from the inside as the carpet covers it. I didn't notice it right off. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
I have a buddy that builds a few first gens a year. All resto mods. He bolts them to the inside passenger toe board . Then makes a cover for it that unbolts. The floor looks original from the inside as the carpet covers it. I didn't notice it right off. Just a thought.
I have done it this way several times. Makes it easy to access and remove. I have also made a bracket that tucks it up under the front of the passenger fender where it is out of sight.

Don

·
14,093 Posts
This is my favorite location with the DD Mounting Bracket

I relocated battery to trunk and use the original battery location for the fuse box.

69 Camaro and my 66 Chevelle

10073244-88B6-44CA-8716-31FD0CE1DBF2.jpg

1FCBBE0A-460C-4891-9D2A-FB447320F6AD.jpg

Reactions: wireboy355

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done it this way several times. Makes it easy to access and remove. I have also made a bracket that tucks it up under the front of the passenger fender where it is out of sight.

Don
I saw that on a couple of DSE builds as well. Where do you run the harness bundle through - it must be a sizable hole?

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my favorite location with the DD Mounting Bracket

I relocated battery to trunk and use the original battery location for the fuse box.

69 Camaro and my 66 Chevelle

View attachment 230211

View attachment 230213
I have the DD bracket as well and my battery is in the trunk. I think my only concern with this location is I have about 2' of harness I don't know what to do with. Probably could fold it back on itself as I don't need all the length.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
I saw that on a couple of DSE builds as well. Where do you run the harness bundle through - it must be a sizable hole?
I run it through in behind the passenger side head. Works good with a PSI or Speartech harness. If you have a GMPP harness up under the fender is a better choice imho. Put the fuse box where the battery was.

PSI and Speartech fuse blocks are not weather proof imho so I like them inside the car.

Don

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Looking for feedback on ECM locations and their associated pros and cons. I really don't want to put it in the car as space is really tight and if I ever had to get to it again I would dread the work necessary to access it. I am not a minimalist when it comes to the engine compartment as long as things are neat.

I think my harness is long enough to reach the fender location running behind the fender with the AC hoses but I like the firewall location as well. Both have enough room to also mount the four relays my harness has so what does the team think?
With a little modification of the DD bracket my ECM fits under the fender on the driver side cowl. Harness routing worked out well too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. As usual, there are multiple solutions to the same problem. I need to do some real measurements so I can see what my options are and go from there. Leaning towards the ultra simple firewall solution but not sure what to do with all the extra harness length I will end up with.

·
14,093 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. As usual, there are multiple solutions to the same problem. I need to do some real measurements so I can see what my options are and go from there. Leaning towards the ultra simple firewall solution but not sure what to do with all the extra harness length I will end up with.
The extra length is harness easily tucks into the inner fender.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I run it through in behind the passenger side head. Works good with a PSI or Speartech harness. If you have a GMPP harness up under the fender is a better choice imho. Put the fuse box where the battery was.

PSI and Speartech fuse blocks are not weather proof imho so I like them inside the car.

Don
This is what I did. GMPP harness. Installed ECM under passenger fender mounted to inner fender with rubber isolators. Fuse box installed in battery tray location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts