Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i am going to install a ls crate motor and i am also likely to tweak that motor is the gmpp controller a good idea?. What i have gathered on them is real positive up to the point you tweak the motor. Then it gets expensive and ugly. Anyone have any experience leaving the straight crate?

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As i understand it..... the easiest way to handle a ls swap is to get a crate motor and the proper ecu from gmpp for the crate and drive off into the sunset. All works really well until you decide to change something. Then you need the tuner but you also need to hack your ecu. This can involve a mod to the ecu or adding more hardware. Either way Til you're done with it all you have more money in the hardware then if you would have just bought a dominator or its equivalent in the first place. I am wondering if anyone here has been down this road lately.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
As i understand it..... the easiest way to handle a ls swap is to get a crate motor and the proper ecu from gmpp for the crate and drive off into the sunset. All works really well until you decide to change something. Then you need the tuner but you also need to hack your ecu. This can involve a mod to the ecu or adding more hardware. Either way Til you're done with it all you have more money in the hardware then if you would have just bought a dominator or its equivalent in the first place. I am wondering if anyone here has been down this road lately.
I don’t think that is the case at all assuming you are talking about a cam swap etc. All you need is a tune. No hacking, just a simple tune. You need that regardless of what path you choose.

Don

·
14,272 Posts
That's not correct. You can mod an LS with anything from a cam to a blower or twin turbos with the OEM ECU. It is very capable.

You will need to have a good experienced tuner or will need to learn to tune yourself. The learning curve is quite extensive.

Most use HP Turner or EFI Live. I prefer HP.

Reactions: ragtook riches

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Between the factory controller and the HP you have 1900 tied up. So why not use a FAST or Holley self tune setup which is the same or less money?

·
14,272 Posts
I’m not that familiar with the Fast or Holley stand alones.

The self tuning features have limitations and would probably still need some manual tuning.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Self tuning algorithms do not work well with aggressive cams.

I think you are over thinking this. Drop in a 480 LS3 connect and cruise and drive the wheels off a nice balanced car with great driveability, performance and fuel economy....

Don

Reactions: DT

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don, there is no question i am over thinking this, its what i do. I would rather put in the 525 and call it a day but in my overthinking of that i decided i didnt like the cam profile that got it there and would rather buy a lesser ls and put a cammotion titan3 stick in it since the only real differences between the three ls3's appears to be cam and springs and the rods.

I gotta get moving this morning. My well pump took a partial dump last night. Its holding 28 psi which is enough to keep my geothermal rig running. The contractor i use wont order a pump just cause i say so, so i gotta wait for a tech.... i am not up to pulling that thing myself any more.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Been there, done that with high lift heavy spring LS cams. Not convinced the juice is worth the squeeze. You are also voiding your GMPP warranty....

Extra 30 hp of the 525 is not worth it either imho....

Don

·
14,272 Posts
Been there, done that with high lift heavy spring LS cams. Not convinced the juice is worth the squeeze. You are also voiding your GMPP warranty....

Extra 30 hp out of the 525 is not worth it either imho....

Don
Ditto

I was going the buy a 430 for my chevelle and do a BT Stage 3 cam swap and tune would get me approx 550.

All said and done it would cost about the same as a 525.

So i decided stick with the 525 although the 480 would be just fine for $1000 less.

Less hassle

Warranty (in case I decide to sell the car I believe the warranty would be more important to a buyer then 25 more HP)

And they are pretty Bada**. Loved the 525 in My 69

·
Registered
886 Posts
I debated putting a cam in my 480 but I drove it all last summer and put on about 3500 miles. It's great for what it is. I already have more power than I can hook up with and it is a torque monster. The fuel mileage and drivability are pretty great too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was gonna buy a stock 100,000 mile LQ4 without harness and do a standalone harness and controller.Add some 21/2" exhaust and headers.Anyone know of a good cheap harness and controller?I thought i would start this way and move up in a year or 2.Its gonna replace 250 hp 350 in my 69.

·
14,272 Posts
Stock LQ4 only has 300 hp

Imho using a 100k engine is a crap shoot.

I would not go to the expense and work without going through the engine completely

Problem is by time you go through the engine you’ll spend close to the cost of a crate motor

I would stay with the GM ECU.

Call PSI

Reactions: DT

·
Registered
33 Posts

Extra 30 hp of the 525 is not worth it either imho....

Don
Had my 525 GMPP tuned , got another 36 hp and 35 torque, at the wheels, love the motor, and its drivability with close ratio tremic T56

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Had my 525 GMPP tuned , got another 36 hp and 35 torque, at the wheels, love the motor, and its drivability with close ratio tremic T56

Post up the before and after dyno curves. Would be interesting to see where you gained torque and also at what rpm the additional hp was gained.

Don

·
14,272 Posts

To get another 36 hp you would need to get almost another 50 at the crank. Extremely hard to do unless your initial tune was way off to start with.

What numbers did you get at the wheels. Are the dyno numbers SAE corrected?

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
In my opinion, no matter what ECU you have, you haven't tuned your engine near it's full potential until it's been on a dyno,with all RPM and load ranges analyzed and tuned..
Although I have a SBC I gained close to 50hp & 40lb/ft after 3-4 hrs of dyno time.
The self learn features will get you car reliably driving,that's about it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Lots of good info on LS stuff on LS1tech... Lots of guys on that forum really like the Holley stuff. I am getting ready to dive into the LS world with the LS3480. I plan to use my current Holley Terminator system on it in an attempt to keep the classic look. The Holley system is pretty nice... but to call it "self-learning" is very mis-leading. To get the full value from it, you need a laptop and need to learn the system....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts