Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i want good reliability and mostly torque out of my chevy 350, you guys think a performer EPS intake with a thunder series AVS carb would be good and compliment eachother? Again, since i want mostly torque, should i get a cam that produces most of its power in the lower rpms?...btw it is goin to be from crower. Does this type of cam mean it would be considered a "smaller" camshaft? Will a cam like this compliment that intake/carb? thanks guys

[ 12-16-2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: camp07 ]

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hello out there

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
please answer...need advice!!!!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The performer intake is preferable for low rpm torque, and the edelbrock carbs are an excellent, reliable street carb. However, if your car has a good working (or rebuildable) q-jet on it, you wont find a better torque/economy/performance carb anywhere. And it will complement the performer intake. Is your engine the original 300hp 350? If so, then it was factory rated around 10.25-1 compression. Crower makes a hydraulic "level 2" cam that would fit nicely in your plans. It is 210/[email protected], .445/.445 lift, on a 112 lsa. It will have a smooth, barely noticeable idle, and pull hard from idle to about 5K rpms if matched with a decent exhaust system.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow travis...that is exactly what i have...what is that cam called?? can i burn some good rubber with that cam...does it have good torque in the low rpms?? Also, just want to make sure u know i am lookin at the performer "EPS" intake...still ok?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you think the torque beast cam from crower would do good for me as well (it is level 3 i believe)??

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one more thing, we are giving the car a little more hp and torque than it originally had (which was 300 hp-turbo fire...L48 i believe). We will probably have more like 350 to 400 hp

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
This torque beast cam you are refering to, is it the 214/[email protected] hydraulic? If that is the one I am thinking of, I'll bet money crower doesn't grind it. It is a old mellings/PAW/summit/TRW/speed-pro/elgin looking profile that works just fine, but you can get that same cam WITH lifters thru summit or PAW for about the same price as crower gets for that cam alone. In any case, its an older profile thats been around for years and yes, with your setup it should burn rubber just fine. While you have the engine out I would suggest adding a mild stall convertor, like a 2400 B&M holeshot or something like that. I would also use a regular performer 2101 that way you can reuse your q-jet (which again is the best all around performance/fuel economy carb ever made. The performer EPS, I believe, is a square bore intake. The older style 2101 has both bolt patterns (square and spreadbore carbs) and will keep you from having to run a leak prone adapter.

If you want to use one of the cheaper crower beast cams, use the level 3 power beast. It is 218/[email protected], and it IS a crower profile. Along with a 2400-2600 stall convertor, it will run quite nicely.

BTW, 350-400hp??? Not quite. With 1 5/8" headers and a good 2 1/2" exhaust and some tuning, it could approach 350hp at the crank. Your factory 300hp is not the same as post 1971 300hp. By later (modern) measuring, that 300hp 350 is more like 250. You will be hard pressed to approach 400hp without going to an aftermarket head.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i kinda spoke too proudly...it will probably be more like 350 at the flywheel and somewhere around 300 at the rear wheels.
and btw, if u look on the crower catalog...they still make the torque beast, but u say it isnt that good anymore (compared to what else they have?). Also, u said that the "beast" series is the cheaper series. I dont mind paying the extra money for a real nice cam...so is there a better hyd. cam series from crower (like the 420 series)?? you think maybe u could help me look for a good torquey cam...o please :D
And lastly, with a high stall torque converter...does that mean i am goin to have to power brake it ever time i want to burn good rubber or can i just stomp it...which is what i would like.
thanks again

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I'll get back to you on that tonight, when I get off work and have my catalogs and part numbers handy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thankyou very much that would be great!!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also, you said somethin about gettin new heads if i was goin to try to get 400 hp (even though it is goin to be more like 350). Well my engine guy is goin to do a little machining on them anyways to get a little better flow out of them. But 400 hp was a overstatement anyways...it will be more like 350 at flywheel and around 300 at the rear wheels.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The crower torque beast hydraulic would be a fine cam to use, but again I dont think crower grinds it. I think it is a repackaged generic 214/224 cam. Crane does the same thing, as does erson. Nothing wrong with the caam itself, but like I said you can get that same profile from summit for what, $80-85 for the cam and lifters? That 214/224 profile has been around for many years, and creates a nice flat powerband from 1500-5000 rpms, and will rev to 6000 rpms with no more than a set of cheap Z-28 style valve springs. For your car, with the 3.55 gears and relatively light weight, I would use the power beast pn# 00903. It has a slightly shorter seat duration than the torque beast, but a longer .050 duration of 218/226, and more lift at .462/.470. It will still idle well with a moderate lope, pull enough vacuum for power brakes, and pull hard from 1800-5500+ rpms. Match it with a 2101 performer, your 300hp q-jet, a set of cheap Z-28 replacement valve springs, and definately a 2400-2600 rpm stall convertor. With a convertor, and decent setup, you wont have to powerbrake it to fry the tires. A 2400 B&M holeshot will complement that cam and gears very nicely, and under normal driving you will barely even no its there...until you hammer the throttle.
This is all just my opinion, of course ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awesome thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
will my throttle response be good/worse/better with that high stall converter??
O AND MORE THING...that cam u recommended just on your last post #00903...well crower says it is good for mid to top end power BUT knowing that i really want torque, will it give it to me?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
:D

BTW Paul, I was going to come up today if you will be around. Wont be able to get much done cause its freaking cold out there.

Camp07 (name?), cam descriptions can be somewhat misleading. I use a cam even bigger than the 00903 crower in my truck, which is a lot heavier than your car, I probably have wider tires (275/60-15's), taller gears (3.08's), and a 2000 stall convertor. I don't have to powerbrake to smoke the tires...just punch it from anything under 15mph and it lights them up. That cam, with the convertor I recommended, will put a big ol' smile on your face every time you punch it. That cam is not what I would call a "high end horsepower" cam...it is a strong middle-low to middle-high rpm cam. In otherwords, strong upper bottom end torque with a very strong midrange, and still big enough to rev nicely. It's a good match for your 3.55 gears.
One thing to consider...with your relatively high factory compression, if you go too small on the cam you will get into detonation.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Just saw this Travis.

I messed around up town this afternoon after Church b/c like you said, too darn cold ta do much of anything..

Later guy,

pdq67

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks so much...awesome info...btw my name is Max
And just so i dont get anything mixed up...this cam we are talkin about is called the "HOT STREET BEAST" # 00903...right? And the "torque beast" cam was the no go cam right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts