Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i searched for the answer to this and read a bunch of posts but could not find what i was looking for, sorry if this was asked before.
I had my entire car media blasted and epoxy primed. It revealed that i should really replace left quarter and repair right one (replacing both with full quarters actually) and replace both front fenders do to poor past bodywork, no rust really just poor repairs.
What i would like to know is with the aftermarket quarters and fenders i am going to use (goodmark) should i completely media blast the edp and have them epoxy painted same way as rest of car? Should i remove both the "external" and "internal" edp? The epoxy primer that was used is a very close to original semi flat black.
What was the original Gm finish and color on the inside of quarters and fenders? Do most of the high dollar restorations remove the edp? leave it as is on the "inside" of panels? or paint over the EDP?
Not looking for 100 point show correctness, but want it to last. car will never be drivin in rain or snow.
was planning on bringing panels to media blast place today ..
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
259 Posts
To find out if its true EDP take a rag with lacquer thinner and wipe it over the coating. If you show color on your rag other then a light haze you NEED to remove it.
Some shops remove the edp some leave it on. Personally I scuff it with 180 and apply some epoxy. I would NOT remove it from the inside and I also would not leave that EDP uncoated. You need to apply something over as it will break down when exposed to the elements.
I have no idea what the factory finish is nor do I care, but the best method to achieve that would with flattened single stage urethane. It would give you the best protection

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I would not remove the EDP internally. It offers good corrosion resistance. I recommend scuffing it with a scotch pad prior to top coating with an epoxy that you are using on the rest the body. As for the external side, most will be removed while block sanding, but scuff every inch of it so that sealers, primers and body fillers adhere well to it.

On cars that I restore, I use either DP90 or Valspar DTM 2000 as a sealer/primer/surfacer. For maximum protection, top coat with an enamel black paint, approximately 20% flattened for a factory appearing finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts