Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No longer a lurker, The depth of knowledge here has inspired me to start my 5th rebuild. I have always had a 69. The last time I counted I could recall junking 9 cars. mostly 69 Camaros but also a Nova and a 69 Firebird convt with a 6 cyl OHC engine. In H.S. I combined a burnt ss and a stolen recovery rs. That got me through A&P school then I rebuilt it with parts from a Nova 1/4mi car. I went on to a 4 year college and acquired a Convertible so I had to combine them again. That was a rush job and body and paint work was completed after graduation. It got butchered by a chump who professed to have skills he didn't have. I was living 2.5 hrs away from my Dad's shop where the work was done. I just couldn't do it all myself. I looked good going by at 35mph. It hurt when people would nit pick it though. The wife and I started a family and moved a few times and the car sat for the past 22 years. I was garaged for some of that time.

I am sure that my budget will make this a long slow build. Thanks in advance to all the builders before me for sharing and inspiring me to start again. Maybe, it will be done for the 50th anniversary HA ha!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Summary of what Im starting with

This body was a 6 cyl 3 speed on the column, That is long gone. It was fathom green and black. I have an 82 305 with a M21, mismatched floor shifter and linkage, multi leaf 12 bolt non posi with 3.08 gears (I believe) that rear came from my ss 350/300 L48 (also long gone). PS and Power front Discs.

The quarters have had big patch panels and outter wheel opening patches also. The bottom of the B post is a bondo mess and trunk drop offs were hardly finished. Front fenders hide cowl rusted on the bottoms. Drivers side rear floor patch was riveted and bondo-ed in place. I opened the trunk and it is pretty much gone. Mice are living in the car and made quite a mess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess everyone likes pictures. This is the last rebuild I did with my Dad's help. I lost him last year. You can see we ignored the lower cowl on the left side. Right side is also rotted. This pic was taken in 1988

Recently I removed the carpet, seats and rear side panels. I'm thinking of doing the full floor first. I'd like to find a discussion regarding order of operations and bracing in such a way as to allow the floor into place. I have a roof installed and wheels on the ground. I thought doing the floor first would help my welding skills improve. It will need: cowl patches, trunk floor, rear quarters, outer wheel houses and trunk drops. I expect to add to this list. The rear panel I don't know if I can save, the welds to the quarters on the lower valence are butt ugly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recent accomplishements as small as they are, I'm happy with. I removed the hood wipers and cowl cover. Evicted all the mice which had nested under it. the screws for the wiper motor all broke off during removal. the cowl seams and windshield perimeter don't look so good. I guess the windshield will have to come out. Still pondering the best plan of action. after I get the subframe out I will start bracing supports. Building the fixture and or rotisserrie is causing me some concern.

I just got some good news on the intake manifold it is not a knock-off. The "W" with the funny lines around it had me wondering. It seems Winters manufactured intakes for GM. I will be reusing this for sure. No LS for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm happy with the progress this weekend. The holes on the subframe under the radiator support look great. Tabs on the support, not so much. After this pic was taken the nose came apart. Most of what I am doing is mental. How am I going to pull this off? There is so much to do. I keep trying to think it through.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
May was a busy month with my Youngest graduating college. Wife had a long honey do list. On the bright side, I was able to upgrade my 12v cordless drill to a new 20v set of tools.

Then my commuter car bit the dust regardless of my efforts to save it. (88 corolla 247,000mi). The Monte needs a motor. So this required us to add a 2011 Eqinox to our fleet. Work on the Monte and Camaro should resume in July. This month I'm working to much OT. In the meantime research and planning continues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made some progress. Where the exhaust pipes are cut, a lot of mouse debris was found. My wife kept bird seed in the garage and the mice took their share all the way up the pipes. Glad I didn't try and start it. Another thing I learned was that jacking the rear of a car that has been sitting for so long could cause the bolts to pull through the frame holes. The bolt near drivers feet didn't hold. the washer and frame tap didn't hold up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Engine and transmission removed from subframe this weekend.:smile2:

:crying:Research on the transmission revealed that it is an M20 instead of an M21 (which is what I told when I bought it back before the internet). I was in a hurry to get it on the road and someone nearby had it readily available. My only other option at that time was a 3 speed.

The only bit of info I haven't figured out is the partial VIN. The gearbox was date stamped 4/18 and that would have been 1964 based on casting #3851325 with patent number. I'm going to open it an count teeth just to be sure of the gear ratios and refresh it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I was exactly where you are a year ago around this time. Just keep plugging away and you'll get there.

Reactions: efgibs

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slow progress to report. Had a death in the family, Grandma made it to 105 ( so we are ok with that )
I took parts off the engine and opened the m20. Still doing research on it. This would be the opportunity to change the gear ratio. I started thinking I don't have a planned goal of what I want this rebuild to consist of. I am fond of the 350 / 300 I had in the first build. With this trans what final gear ratio should I run? Should I bother changing the gearbox to a close ratio?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Why no love for the M20? I would have hated an M21 with a 308 rear gear. Figuring out your rear gear, which is figuring out what you are going to build the car to be, kinda drives the wide/close ratio box decision. I wouldn't consider an M21 on a more or less street stocker unless I was running a 3.73 or steeper rear gear. The 2.5 in the M20 just launches you easier than the 2.2 M21.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are spot on about the ratio compatibility. It seems like they are a match. It did drive really nice with a 82 z28 305 without the fuel injection. I put a cam steel timing gear and that LT1 aluminum intake. For this build I want to recreate the 350/300 I had on the first build. That combination had a powerglide and non-posi 12bolt 3.08

1 - 20 of 40 Posts